Posts in concrete for duck run?

yarrowhouse

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
North Carolina
We are planning a new duck run. Hopefully the last we will build :)

Question is, should we set the posts into the ground? If so, do they need to be in concrete?

The run will be something like 24 feet x 16 feet, completely enclosed in hardware cloth. We may use metal or plastic roofing panels on part of it.

Posts in concrete will rot.
I had to replace the posts on my father's front porch because they had been imbedded in the concrete pour and one had rotted clean through and was just dangling.
I set my posts on concrete piers with 1" offset bases that are anchored to the concrete with J-bolts instead.
post base.jpg
The posts don't sit in water this way.

I used deck blocks to elevate my coop three feet; used with a 4x4 timber frame. I did nothing to attach the blocks to the timber relying on the weight of the structure.

Inherently this system is not as secure as posts buried 4 feet into the ground and then mechanically attached to the supported structure using engineered ties such as Simpson makes.

As the climate changes we are getting more and higher speed winds; I have second quessed that choice.

I think @Ted Brown is hitting on a good point…what’s your weather like?

I live in South Louisiana with zero protection from the high winds of hurricanes.

I really wanted to build my coop and run on decking blocks but knew putting 4x4’s 24” in the ground would be more secure. The treated 4x4’s that I used for my picket fence lasted 15yrs before the last hurricane Ida blew them away- they survived 4 hurricanes previously.

We are in North Carolina, kinda near Chapel Hill. Pretty moderate weather, even in storms, we are tucked into a wooded area so wind doesn't pick up much.

I'm thinking to use deck blocks, and I will dig enough to make sure it's all level. My walls will be hardware cloth/wire. We may come back later and add a partial roof or partial wall but mostly it will be open.

FWIW.

My run is covered - pole shed with steel roofing plus space under the elevated coop. My birds are outside pretty much all day every day, summer and winter. They watch the rain pour down and the snow build up.

Their life is enhanced greatly by this freedom. I believe at least some shelter from rain and sun and... is needed.

Back
Top Bottom