Posturing Question

Christydvm

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
I currently have 6 hens that I have raised & are now all laying. I do not have any roosters, but there are a few on the next farm over from me that my girls can hear crowing. Recently, I have noticed that when I walk into ther coop, 2 of them will posture (squat down, wings lifted a bit & tail lifted) like they are awaiting the rooster to breed them. My question is, when they posture this way is it of any benefit to pet them (along their back/head/tail) during this posturing?? I mean, will it stimulate more egg production if I pet them than if they are not petted during the posturing? They all allow me to pet them normally when in the coop as they were hand raised. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Squatting just has to do with sexual maturity. Mine do it all the time when we have a roo or when we don't.

I just give them a pet and shake their tail. I get just as many eggs when I pay attention to them when they squat then when I don't.

So, IMHO, it will not impact laying production.

Last edited:
Thats what I figured, but was just interested
smile.png

Thanks!

Congrats, your girls consider you to be their rooster
smile.png
. It means they trust you and see you as a source of protection and food. I don't know if it'll increase their egg production or anything, but it does build a bond with them to just give em a quick pat. They'll stick close to you and 'chat' with you.

I actually have one girl who will ignore the rest of the flock after I give her a patting. She'll follow me around devotedly for about 5 minutes. I tell her that it doesn't mean we're going steady or anything, but she ignores me and chats away about her day.

+1 for building a bond. Of all of my chickens only the 8 original girls are really friendly with people so they do this the most. Of course being the first chickens that I picked up means that they got a lot of attention. They will follow me around the run stomping their feet to get my attention. They keep it up until I finally give them the rooster rubdown after which they fluff their feathers and trot off on chicken business.

I liked when they started doing that cause they stayed in one spot if I wanted to catch them. The young ones kinda run away and I have to chase them around. Can't wait till they start doing that.

Back
Top Bottom