Posturing? Tensing up when getting picked up??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smalltownchicks, Nov 29, 2011.

1. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    Just within the last few days my girls are doing something different. Not all of them but I've seen it out of 4 of them (I have 7). Sometimes when I get close to them and go to pick them up (not usually easy by the way) they squat down and tense up, some sort of posturing or something. Is this some sort of reflex now developing?

2. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    It's called the egg squat. Get ready for eggs soon!

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:They are squatting and preparing for you to mount them LOL! [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's what my Snow White does when my Foghorn gets on her back. She's been laying now for 5 out of 6 past days - just started laying on Thanksgiving morning [​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Not really an egg squat, but they respect you like they would a rooster, so they're "assuming the position" for you to mate with them if you like......hehehe

It's great though....Suddenly, pullets I couldn't catch will sort of "freeze" and I can pick them right up! Amazing, huh?

5. smalltownchicks

smalltownchicks Seven Silly Hens

Jul 7, 2011
    You know I've gained some weight recently but I didn't think I was starting to look like a man! [​IMG]
    It is nice, they are quite easy to catch this way...maybe I'll put some of my hubby's cologne on too!!!

6. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    Now that our mean little rooster is gone the girls are squatting for me again......and that's just a good thing......they think I'm their roo again. Mama's happy [​IMG]

7. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Just a thought, But it is a submissive posture. Good girl there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by