Pot Belly Pig behaviour, is this normal?

Merchris

Songster
16 Years
Feb 1, 2008
So to spare you a long story, I have 3 pot belly pigs that wandered into our yard several years ago. 2 females and one neutered male. I wasn't sure he was neutered, but my farrier assured me if he wasn't I'd see it. So, even though he's neutered, he seems to retain the characteristics of an intact male because when the females go in heat, he's all over them and VERY territorial. He's attacked my husband once, and my another time so bad I ended up in ER for stitches. We have tried to find a rescue to take him in hopes they would know how to deal with him better than we do. Honestly he scares the crap out of us when he's like this and I'm afraid he's going to injure one of my horses badly one day. The pigs are in their own pen but sometimes they break out. The girls are fine, but he's just scary at times. I really don't know what to do and if this is even normal. I honestly am not sure he didn't have a stroke or something a few years ago, when they were just making visits to our yard in the beginning one time he showed up with his head tilted to the side and even though that went back to normal, he drags one of his front legs when he walks sometimes, so I wonder if his brain is on the fritz. I really don't want to put him down, but I also don't want my kid or other animals getting injured. Can anyone give me advice? Thanks

I know. We’ve already had 2 accidents and I am honestly scared of him most of the time. I just struggle with putting down an animals that’s not technically suffering, but on the other side, I do not want my family hurt. I just wasn’t sure if this is abnormal behavior.

Yikes. Maybe you could find someone willing to take him to harvest? I've heard pot bellys are no good for meat, but someone who makes their own dog food might be interested.
I'm with you on not killing animals that are not suffering, but he has the very real potential to make your family suffer.

Well we had to make the decision to put the pig down last night. My husband came home and he had all the horses cornered in a stall and was trying to get aggressive towards my husband. I feel bad about it but I can’t have my family and my other pets in harms way. If he’d cut one of the horses legs it could have been catastrophic. Thanks for the replies

So glad your horses are ok!
Sounds like you gave him a pretty comfortable life while he was with you and thats worth much. Its always tough to have to make the final call, but I'm glad you did before anyone got seriously hurt.

So glad your horses are ok!
Sounds like you gave him a pretty comfortable life while he was with you and thats worth much. Its always tough to have to make the final call, but I'm glad you did before anyone got seriously hurt.
Thank you for the support. It’s really surreal that we had to do that, I feel a guilt for some reason. I treasure all animals but this was unlike anything we’ve ever dealt with. He did have a nice life, mud holes, snacks and regular meals so I hope that counts for something. I hope he’s at peace in a meadow in the sky or something

Yikes. Maybe you could find someone willing to take him to harvest? I've heard pot bellys are no good for meat, but someone who makes their own dog food might be interested.
I'm with you on not killing animals that are not suffering, but he has the very real potential to make your family suffer.
If potbellies are no good for meat, there are a lot of southeast Asians that would be surprised. Potbellies were and are raised for meat. It was only when they came to the US that they were considered to be pets.

Well we had to make the decision to put the pig down last night. My husband came home and he had all the horses cornered in a stall and was trying to get aggressive towards my husband. I feel bad about it but I can’t have my family and my other pets in harms way. If he’d cut one of the horses legs it could have been catastrophic. Thanks for the replies
It would not surprise me a bit if that pig was in fact a boar and not neutered like you thought. I had a potbelly wander into my place. I thought he was a barrow, because he did not have the obvious testicles I am used to seeing on boar pigs. Turned out he was a boar. I know that because a female potbelly came wandering in and she ended up getting pregnant. The only male pig on the place was the one I thought was a barrow but wasn't. It is also possible your pig had retained testicles or that there was some testicular tissue left after he was castrated. The behavior you mentioned was more typical of an intact male. You did the right thing by putting him down. I never did find out where my potbellies came from.

Back
Top Bottom