pot belly pigs - looking for info/answers!

My Lilly was born memorial day. She gets 2 cups mini pig food a day. She is getting big lol. You must remember these pigs are from vietnam and dont get fed much. It doesn't take much for them to get big fast. If you notice the eyes getting squinty back off on the feed some. They will ALWAYS be hungry. They are PIGS lol. I am wondering about their feet. Anyone know how much they need their hooves trimmed? We have never had Lilly trimmed.

wow either im really under feeding my piggies or your feeding a lot! lol i honestly dont know, but 3 cups a day sounds like a lot. my piglets get a tiny handful soaked and it makes an ounce or so of mush and thats twice a day. as adults i was told they only need 1 cup twice a day, and some say only once a day. im feeding mazuri mini pig food too but the bags i got were for adolesents which i should have got for piglets but its all the feed store had. im told the more you feed them the bigger they get. mine always seem starving too.. should i be feeding more?

also, i was told by my local feed guy i could feed them chicken mash when they are older, its 14% protein, would this really be ok? i think he assumed i was feeding regular pigs.. not sure. and actually is 14% high enough for my chickens?

patti'speeps - don't let her fool you, she only is acting like that because she knows you'll give into her. if you 'show' her you won't tolerate the screaming and fussing about wanting more food, treats, dog/cat food, etc - she'll stop. It can be as simple as standing in front of her, blocking her from getting into the other animals food. She'll yell for the first few times that you do it, but then she'll realize that you're not moving unless she leaves it alone. Another suggestion is a spray bottle of water. I would not use it on a regular basis though. I only use it when my piggy does something on purpose (Ex. he knows full well he isn't supposed to get into my purse, but if he's in that 'well Imma do it anyway' kind of mood, he gets a little squirt - simply because he'll look at you like 'watch this!' first, haha!
lol.png
) They work in the 'herd' state of mind - if you allow her to scream and everything else, she automatically is the 'top pig' and will continue to do exactly as she pleases. And it could lead to bigger problems down the road.

Stevo - if your piggy doesn't mind her feet being messed with, I'd suggest filing them every once in a while. When she's taking a nap or something. This will prevent you from having to actually cut them! I put a towel down on the floor or bed while watching a movie or something and file away as he's catching a nap and a belly rub!
big_smile.png

birdbrain5 - your silly baby isn't starving! You could feed them ten times in a day and they would still make it seem that way!
smile.png
I get a 50lb bag of regular hog chow pellets and another 50lb bag of something yummy and mix them together! My guy loves cracked corn, oats, etc.!

so ideally, how many cups a day should a little pig get? they are only a couple months old.
hu.gif

Quote:
I don't know how badly you spoil your babies
smile.png
Harley, my mini PB, has always eaten twice a day and maintains a wonderful weight for his body size! He wasn't much of an eater when he was little (totally out of character
roll.png
I know!) So for his beginning months I believe he was only eating 1/4 in the morning and a 1/4 at night. When he got a little older and started eating like a pig I began giving him 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night, but this was during warmer months. Just before winter I upped his food to 2/3 in the morning and 2/3 at night so he would put on some weight for the cold. Granted my husband thinks I'm silly because he stays in mostly and when he's outside he and my dog have a heater to lay in front of! But I also have to keep in mind how many goodies I give him, because gracious is he a garbage gutt!
lol.png
I like to take veggies and treats and scatter them in the yard so he has something to find during the day - hence, why I said I don't know how badly you spoil!
big_smile.png

But, Harley is also only 50/60lbs!

Does anyone know of any veggie treats that are a favorite of pigs (or have excellent nutrients)? Im planting some more things in the garden, and thought there might be something I was missing that pigs absolutely love! Thanks!

Quote:
My guy loves pretty much everything except for celery and lettuce.. I planted him his own cucumber plant and strawberry plant last year - He loved it, no surprise. We plant a lot in our garden, everything is fair game after being picked - although, I don't allow him to have cabbage or hot peppers, of course
smile.png
Let me know what you decide on!

Our vet said to give our piggie 1/2 cup pot belly pig food twice a day when a baby. Will only need 1 cup twice a day when full grown. They will eat what is given but only need 1 cup twice a day. Our piggie will eat eggs if left when he can reach them
sad.png
Eggs have to be collected before he is let out and we had to put a gate to the chicken coop so the chickens could get out but he could not get in. He learned how to knock the feed out of the hanging feeders. He also ate all the acorns in the yard. Usually poisonous to most animals, but not the piggie. His favorite treats are carrots and apples. He will do anything for a carrot. He every went to school to help raise money for camp no worries by kissing the principal, superintendent and several teachers at the school. Also our vet said popcorn is a great treat for animals I make sure it has no salt and no butter. Enjoy your piggies.
This is our Patrick (Patrick Ian Grady)
P1000035.jpg
025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom