Pot sizes for growing vegetables in containers

I got colorful 5 gal containers at WM early on and put my first tomato plants I bought to get a start in early May. They are my 1st attempt at wicking tubs. I got the idea from Leon on YT. They are doing GREAT weather is starting to get hot so we will see how they do compared to ground plants.

Attachments

• PXL_20210610_014251563.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014251563.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210610_014414102.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014414102.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210610_014557676.jpg
    PXL_20210610_014557676.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 9
I have been using containers for a few years now. My preferred container is "molasses tubs". Containers about 30 gallons or so that originally contained supplemental feed and usually molasses in some form for cattle. They also last a long time as opposed to the small planter pots that you get from Lowe's.
Lots'a cattle raisers use this for supplemental feed during the winter. The tubs are trash to them when empty and will give them away for free. Others collect them and sell them for $5-10 each.
However you aquire them, they make great pots for larger plants/plantings. I do my greens/lettuce/spices in them as I can place them close to the house versus the garden which it a lot further from the house. My lettuce, grown during the winter as it gets too hot for lettuce during the summer. I just sprinkle a lettuce mix seed and let it grow. Picking off it just about every day as needed. Same for greens and spices. Right now I have kale, green onions, basil, dill, oregano and sage on these pots.
As an experiment I am trying a "self watering pot" method. The name is somewhat misleading as you still have to water the pot but it supplies a steady supply of water to the plants along with air pruning the roots, which promotes plant health (supposedly, jury's still out on this one). Google this on Youtube for more info.

I have been using containers for a few years now. My preferred container is "molasses tubs". Containers about 30 gallons or so that originally contained supplemental feed and usually molasses in some form for cattle. They also last a long time as opposed to the small planter pots that you get from Lowe's.
Lots'a cattle raisers use this for supplemental feed during the winter. The tubs are trash to them when empty and will give them away for free. Others collect them and sell them for $5-10 each.
However you aquire them, they make great pots for larger plants/plantings. I do my greens/lettuce/spices in them as I can place them close to the house versus the garden which it a lot further from the house. My lettuce, grown during the winter as it gets too hot for lettuce during the summer. I just sprinkle a lettuce mix seed and let it grow. Picking off it just about every day as needed. Same for greens and spices. Right now I have kale, green onions, basil, dill, oregano and sage on these pots.
As an experiment I am trying a "self watering pot" method. The name is somewhat misleading as you still have to water the pot but it supplies a steady supply of water to the plants along with air pruning the roots, which promotes plant health (supposedly, jury's still out on this one). Google this on Youtube for more info.

I would love to see pics of the tubs please. It sounds like a neat idea.

Wolfie I aquired 10 of these tubs this year and I love them. I made them into self watering/wicking tubs. I have tomatoes, cukes, pumpkins, squashes, melons and green onions in them. Water them about once a week or so and water soluble fertilizer in the water. Right now I'm using NPK of 4-34-32 now that plants are setting on blossoms and fruit. I put them in alley for vining plants to crawl out and the soil in tubs is much better than soil in alley.

Attachments

• PXL_20210626_191616448.jpg
    PXL_20210626_191616448.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210626_191746608.jpg
    PXL_20210626_191746608.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210626_191740872.jpg
    PXL_20210626_191740872.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 5
Wolfie I aquired 10 of these tubs this year and I love them. I made them into self watering/wicking tubs. I have tomatoes, cukes, pumpkins, squashes, melons and green onions in them. Water them about once a week or so and water soluble fertilizer in the water. Right now I'm using NPK of 4-34-32 now that plants are setting on blossoms and fruit. I put them in alley for vining plants to crawl out and the soil in tubs is much better than soil in alley.
How are your wicking tubs working out for you\? I have one in operation right now and not sure of the efficiency. But I have kale in it and am not sure the root system gets deep enough to take advantage of the concept. I want to try it on some perennials, mostly my wife's young mango tree and plumeria. Not cold hardy@ all and growing them in a pot , watering is a PITA. No potting media will store enough water by itself and they have to be watered every day

Back
Top Bottom