Pot sizes for growing vegetables in containers

Pics
I've grown peppers in containers for 5-6 years in a row, cut them back and overwinter them (if possible) they are a very successful perennial if you keep them from freezing.. and will get huge !!

I have never considered peppers as perennials. I live in northern Minnesota and, obviously, plants freeze in the winter. I always thought pepper plants were annuals. If I grew peppers in 5 gallon buckets, could I cut them back in the fall and store them in our basement until the next spring? Seems like I might get a stronger plant if they grow every year rather than planting a new pepper plant. Are all pepper plants perennials, or select varities? Thanks.

I have never considered peppers as perennials. I live in northern Minnesota and, obviously, plants freeze in the winter. I always thought pepper plants were annuals. If I grew peppers in 5 gallon buckets, could I cut them back in the fall and store them in our basement until the next spring? Seems like I might get a stronger plant if they grow every year rather than planting a new pepper plant. Are all pepper plants perennials, or select varities? Thanks.
Absolutely..

@BReeder! and @WthrLady might have some thoughts - I think they have both overwintered peppers in colder climates

@BReeder! and @WthrLady might have some thoughts - I think they have both overwintered peppers in colder climates
I've overwintered them in a protected garage that doesn't get below freezing. I've also done them on a protected, but not heated cellar steps near freezing. You have to prune them properly, take a large enough root ball, and only try to save your healthiest plants, and hardest of all, remember to occasionally water and check on them. THen sometimes you get them back, even better than the year before.

You have to prune them properly, take a large enough root ball, and only try to save your healthiest plants

I was just thinking of planting some pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets, and then taking the buckets inside for the winter. Any problems with that idea? As to pruning, I am looking at some YouTube videos for guidance.

For years I have been planting new pepper plants every spring. Might be nice to see if some plants overwintered would get off to a faster start and produce more peppers in the growing season.

I was just thinking of planting some pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets, and then taking the buckets inside for the winter. Any problems with that idea? As to pruning, I am looking at some YouTube videos for guidance.

For years I have been planting new pepper plants every spring. Might be nice to see if some plants overwintered would get off to a faster start and produce more peppers in the growing season.
Look up Fatalii overwintering peppers..

If you have the gift for growing in containers, then yes, it should be totally fine.

I have kept peppers of different kinds for 2-3 years fairly often. I live in zone 9-A and have very mild winters compared to a lot of you guys. I still take precautions though, when the temps are predicted to be below freezing. I've put them in pots for the winter before, But then I'm moving them around for the cold. So mostly I just cover 'em up when temps require it.
Another topic, pots: I have fairly good access to "molasses tubs", winter protein for cattle. They are about 20-25 gallon plastic tubs made tp be set outside and most will withstand sun and freezing temps for years. Another one that I have not heard much about here - Wicking planters. Google 'em on youtube. Won't have to water as much with this method I've got several.

I over-winter one pepper plant, it lives in a 50L grow-bag and I grow garlic in it as well which works out perfectly as the garlic is harvested just as the pepper plant is really wanting to take off. I prune it back hard and move it under a frost-free shelter for winter.

Back
Top Bottom