Potato peals toxic to chickens ?

SA gardener

Songster
May 23, 2020
Johannesburg, South Africa
Some people say potato peals are toxic to chickens, while others say they feed their chickens potato peals and their chickens are just fine.
Can I feed my chickens potato peals raw or are potato peals really toxic ?

This is a classic chicken mix up. GREEN potato peels (happens when potatoes are exposed to sunlight while growing) can be toxic. Most are just fine.

Even the green ones are only an issue raw. If cooked, they’re fine.

I find my flock prefers them cooked regardless, although they’ll eat them raw too.

Green potatoes or peels are toxic, and I wouldn't cook and feed them either. Otherwise the peels are fine.
I try to buy organic potatoes whenever possible, and then don't peel them anyway.
Mary

Even the green ones are only an issue raw. If cooked, they’re fine.

The internet tells me that cooking doesn't break down the poison (solanine).

I agree that not-green potato peels are fine to offer to chickens, raw or cooked. The chickens tend to eat the cooked ones, but I think they don't eat much of the raw ones--so those get mixed into the bedding and eventually end up as compost.

Probably best to ditch a green potato if you get one....which is rare. In my adult life, I can recall seeing exactly ONE green potato (I composted it).

It just drives me nuts when people take the "green potato" thing and say things like ALL potatoes or peals are poisonous.

I do find that potatoes aren't a favorite of my flock, but as NatJ said, if they don't eat it it just gets composted.

Back
Top Bottom