potato peels?

Quote:
Most animals who don't have gizzards.

Yup, Clay's right....take some gravel and unpopped popcorn in your hand. Squeeze and roll it around awhile (if you like you can toss in an optional grasshopper, couple of grubs, a potato peel--cooked if you like--, a wormy tomato...). Squish it around for an hour or so. Then see how much of the corn remains uncracked.

That's a gizzard.
smile.png

Quote:
The cracked corn we give the chickens is "cracked" for a reason

Ok, First I don't feed cracked corn, I feed whole corn, Second corn it is cracked to make it smaller.

Otherwise, they would sell it whole

Ummm, they do sell Whole Corn. You can find it at any good feed mill.

Typically, seeds in shells pass right through most animals.

Chickens ain't most animals, Chickens have a *gizzard.

The reason you pop corn is to allow the corn to be digested

There is no reason for having to pop it, trust me. Whole (un-popped) popcorn is a main ingredient in a lot of pigeon feed.

*Gizzard: the muscular stomach of the fowl where the food is ground and mixed with the digestive compounds produced by the proventriculus (glandular stomach)

Chris​

Last edited:
Chris, thanks for setting me straight. I looked up green potatoes on the NIH website. An adult would have to eat 4 & 1/2 pounds of green potatoes to be fatal. Not to say you can't get sick by eating less. You do the math on the rest. They recommend not eating the green part.

I've been following this thread with great interest...love the debate! I have a question. Is a 'Green' potatoe one that is actually green in color , one that's not yet ready to be picked, raw potatoes or what, exactly? Thanks guys

The potato itself will turn a green color when exposed to the sun. It has nothing to so with it being immature. The skin that is exposed to the sun turns green, not the rest of the skin. The green color can extend down into the flesh of the potato some.

Although they are totally separate plants, I have had sweet potatoes turn green when exposed to the sun too. I don't eat the green part of them either.

Back
Top Bottom