Potato soup help please!!

cackydoodledoo

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
Crazyville, USA
I have tried and tried to make potato soup and no matter what I do I end up with something more like mush!! I want to make potato soup like you get at a restaurant!! I have tried cooking the potatoes less and more and still mush! Help please!!

One way to change the texture is to bake the potatoes first or boil them in their skins. Boil them until they are just barely tender, cool completely and peel. Make your soup, but do not put in the potatoes yet. Cut them in extra big chunks, as they will break apart a bit once you incorporate them into the soup. It may simply be the type of potatoes you are using. Those great big idaho bakers that are so fluffy do NOT make good soup, use the smaller, thicker skinned, cheaper potatoes. I put a few in the stock/base, but add the rest at the very end. I think the soup at O'Charlies has tiny rectangles in it, you can cook those to just barely tender and put them in at the end just like the chunks. It is the type of potato that makes a difference here. I wish I could remember the name of the best soup potatoes. Good luck, you might try to Google Clone recipes and see what you can come up with.

Are you putting cream in it? Not just potatoes mashed and water right? lol not trying to be rude but not sure how you are making it and what are you using.

Ok went and put together a pot to see how I made it.
1 stick of butter
6-8 potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
10 cups of water in a duch oven pan
1 pint jar of my canned ham (optional)or I use a pkg. of real bacon bits
1/2 small onion
1 rounded TBS minced Garlic
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can creme of Mushroom soup
3 TBS. french onion chip dip or sour cream
seasoning salt and pepper
I let it simmer for an hour and half to 2 hours or untill all is cooked down some and potatoes are done.

Here is how I make it.

Cube potatoes and boil in chicken broth until just done.
While that is going, saute diced onion and celery in either butter or bacon grease and add to potatoes.
Add whole milk and ham or smoked sausage and simmer a few more minutes.

Here's a link to Vita Mix's baked potato soup recipe, I've made this a number of times and it is sooo good. Use BAKED potatoes, either russet or yukon golds... One of the things not mentioned in the discussion of the pros/cons of Vita Mix type blenders is that at their very high speeds they actually cook food and make it HOT. Can you do this with your regular blender, I think so - it just takes a good FOUR minutes for it to puree properly and get hot. Doggone good with a dollop of greek yoghurt or sour cream.

http://vitamix.ahoy.com/recipe/recipe.cgi/0/2/

Thanks all! I will try all these tips and the recipes. I do not use cream in it but will definitely try it!! I have tried using several off of the net to no avail but a tried and true recipe is always great to have!!

I make leek and potatoe soup all the time. Yum it is so good....kids love it too!!! From alton brown:

Ingredients
1 pound leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed, approximately 4 to 5 medium
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
14 ounces, approximately 3 small, Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 quart vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon snipped chives
Directions
Chop the leeks into small pieces.

In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.

Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.

Back
Top Bottom