Potential chicken-keeper in Charlotte, NC

dascoba

Hatching
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Hi All,
I'm living in Charlotte, NC. My wife and I are seriously considering keeping chickens and are hoping some people in the area may have some tips on breeds that do well in the Charlotte weather and anything else that might be relevant to the area.

We have 2 kids and we've been moving in the direction of local agriculture and food for some time now, and it doesn't get much more local than your backyard. We're hoping to have 4 egg-laying chickens to start, possibly by hatching them ourselves, but at least getting chicks so we can raise them ourselves.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

PS - The Learning Center here is awesome. I watched no less than 5 chicken song videos on Youtube after learning that chickens will sing before and/or after laying.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hey Dan!
Looooove Charlotte. Lived in that area for Fifteen years before moving back to my hometown.
Welcome to BYC. I am still new too. I had narrowed to search to 2 breeds.. the Orpington and the Barr Rock. I liked both because they were highly recommendwd as good with kids. I have 4 kids all under 7.. so a non-aggressive breed is for me.
We decided on the Rocks because i like their plumage.... such a girl reason, i know.
What does Charlotte have as far as permits for keeping chickens?

We are now waiting on our chicks... so excited! Welcome to the group! Everyone has been awesome!

Hey Dan!
Looooove Charlotte. Lived in that area for Fifteen years before moving back to my hometown.
Welcome to BYC. I am still new too. I had narrowed to search to 2 breeds.. the Orpington and the Barr Rock. I liked both because they were highly recommendwd as good with kids. I have 4 kids all under 7.. so a non-aggressive breed is for me.
We decided on the Rocks because i like their plumage.... such a girl reason, i know.
What does Charlotte have as far as permits for keeping chickens?
We are now waiting on our chicks... so excited! Welcome to the group! Everyone has been awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Just reebok,
In Charlotte a permit IS required to keep fowl, but it's only like $40.00 a year from what I saw in the municipal code.

We were looking at the Orpington as well for similar reasons, plus, I read (I think) that they make good layers. Our kids are 3 and 6 so yeah, having the Chickens be good with kids is really important. How do Chickens do during colder months in the South? Nov to March maybe? where it hits the 30's to 40's at night? Do we need to build a heating unit into our coop?

Hey Dan,
From everything everyone has said - here in the South, no heating unit is required. As long as the coop is nice and cozy, and you can close the door - they do quite well. Again, this is from the reading. The Orpington is supposed to be a very good starter bird. I was potentially waiting on a farmer in Camden who has them - but he hasn't called - so I think I am going to order my chicks from My Pet Chicken. Good luck and welcome to the group!!
Tricia

Back
Top Bottom