Potential Mareks? PLEASE HELP

taylorichardson6

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
My Americauna hen is close to ten years old. A few nights ago we noticed she didn’t want to roost in the coop and would sleep on the floor (our other americauna hen just hatched 5 chicks who all sleep in a nesting box and we have hens do this from time to time if they make it in the coop late so we didn’t think anything of it). She also seemed to only really hang out under one of the trees in our yard. For the past two nights, she hasn’t been putting herself to bed until it was dark. Tonight I found her asleep on our porch. Upon further inspection, one of her eyes has shifted to a grayish brown and the pupil is enlarged, but not irregular. She seems to be blind in the eye as well. We haven’t introduced any new birds, been anywhere that has other birds, however our birds are free range. Could this be ocular mareks? I’ve scoured the web for photos but have come up short of anything that looks similar. For now I have her separated but I’m afraid if it’s mareks I’m too late. I’m a worrier and I love my birds, and I’m having a panic attack over this right now. Especially for our new chicks! Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Bad eye versus good eye posted below
973818FC-CF2E-4075-A4E4-A7F92F9987DF.jpeg
BAD413E7-1537-4162-BAE4-9ACE332FC2B4.jpeg

Very doubtful it is any type of Mareks. You mentioned your hen is near 10 years old, so to me, it is most likely age and end of life coming on that you are dealing with. The picture reminds me of Cataracts more than a disease process. I have a rooster that is blind in one eye from injury, his eye look's very similar to your hens.

My Americauna hen is close to ten years old. A few nights ago we noticed she didn’t want to roost in the coop and would sleep on the floor (our other americauna hen just hatched 5 chicks who all sleep in a nesting box and we have hens do this from time to time if they make it in the coop late so we didn’t think anything of it). She also seemed to only really hang out under one of the trees in our yard. For the past two nights, she hasn’t been putting herself to bed until it was dark. Tonight I found her asleep on our porch. Upon further inspection, one of her eyes has shifted to a grayish brown and the pupil is enlarged, but not irregular. She seems to be blind in the eye as well. We haven’t introduced any new birds, been anywhere that has other birds, however our birds are free range. Could this be ocular mareks? I’ve scoured the web for photos but have come up short of anything that looks similar. For now I have her separated but I’m afraid if it’s mareks I’m too late. I’m a worrier and I love my birds, and I’m having a panic attack over this right now. Especially for our new chicks! Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Bad eye versus good eye posted below View attachment 2785032View attachment 2785033

Tbh looks like cataracts. Pupil seems to be in good shape.

My Americauna hen is close to ten years old. A few nights ago we noticed she didn’t want to roost in the coop and would sleep on the floor (our other americauna hen just hatched 5 chicks who all sleep in a nesting box and we have hens do this from time to time if they make it in the coop late so we didn’t think anything of it). She also seemed to only really hang out under one of the trees in our yard. For the past two nights, she hasn’t been putting herself to bed until it was dark. Tonight I found her asleep on our porch. Upon further inspection, one of her eyes has shifted to a grayish brown and the pupil is enlarged, but not irregular. She seems to be blind in the eye as well. We haven’t introduced any new birds, been anywhere that has other birds, however our birds are free range. Could this be ocular mareks? I’ve scoured the web for photos but have come up short of anything that looks similar. For now I have her separated but I’m afraid if it’s mareks I’m too late. I’m a worrier and I love my birds, and I’m having a panic attack over this right now. Especially for our new chicks! Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Bad eye versus good eye posted below View attachment 2785032View attachment 2785033
It could be a number of things, but almost looks a bit like fowl pox. Has there been an unusually high number of mosquitoes in your area this year?

Have you checked your coop for red mites?

At 10yrs old, it would be good to have an experienced vet do a check up on her to see how things look.

Hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom