Potential way to hatch more female chicks?

So dna supplied to egg changes with temp?

Im more inclined to think of this as an outlier of data. If a large sample were taken, it’d be closer to 50% vs grasping at straws.

Think it'd work with quail?
My mom has chickens, also raised with our quail in her backyard.
I have two males.. and tbh I would LOVE to get girls once my girls start to lay!

I have no idea if this method works with quail. However all birds descend from reptiles, and crocodile gender ratio gets influenced by temperature during incubation, leading the clutch to hatch all males, or all females (no idea if the missing gender at time of hatch is because those embryos died or transformed into the other sex during incubation). So it's plausible, though unproven.

Last edited:
So dna supplied to egg changes with temp?

Im more inclined to think of this as an outlier of data. If a large sample were taken, it’d be closer to 50% vs grasping at straws.

No, apparently eggs that contain male chicken embryos will simply not hatch if incubated at a slightly lower temperature than normal. Or so the article says. The verity of that claim needs to be proven though. Cue this thread.

I have not personally tried it, but I have a friend that does it in her frequent hatches and she says it is successful. She learned it from a breeder that also does that trick and also claims it is successful. Next spring I will try this with an autosexing breed to see if it really does work.

Doesn't work. People have tried this countless time. If it worked, the hatcheries would be doing it. Search the posts on here and you'll find more about this topic.

I've read many times that incubators are difficult to calibrate and keep stable, especially if you're unfamiliar with it (like someone who's new at using one). If people tried out this method while having a few difficulties with their incubators, it would explain why it did not work.

@the3quail & @FuzzyCritters - I'll wait for the results with baited breath! I hope you'll succeed. Good luck! ^^

Back
Top Bottom