Potentially Mortally Wounded Hen- GRAPHIC -Weak stomachs DON'T read!!!

Poor girl
sad.png
I had a duck with a nasty cut to her neck I think from a dog. I could see her spine. I cleaned her up with water and perioxide and just used generous amounts of neosporin every other day and she healed up just fine. I also had a chick with a similar wound (I am guessing this one was a sharp piece of wire or one of the hens through the chicken wire) heal up just as fast with the same treatment.

She has a very good chance of being just fine
smile.png

Quote:
I don't have any of that... where can I get it? is it Rx only?

You can get it in the refrigerator at most agriculture stores. You don't need a prescription for it. You will also need to pick up some syringes.

She will likely be fine. Chickens can with stand some amazingly nasty injuries without so much as a peep about it. Don't feel too guilty. These things happen.

Good luck with her.

Thank you! I (or my folks) will be headed out first thing in the morning to go get a bottle and some syringes.

Thank you everybody for helping me feel a little less bad about it.

Last edited:
You would not believe how resilient chickens are. I think she has a fighting chance especially if you're willing to give her the care she needs.

I had a silke that had the whole back part of her neck ripped off... God only knows how she survived & healed from that type of injury.

Well folks, I didn't wake up to find her "sleeping"! Rather, I woke up to find she had completely pulled herself free from the restrictive wrap, and removed her bandaging....
roll.png
She is active this morning. Thankfully the bandage remained on her head long enough for clotting to happen and "glue" the feathers on either side of the slice together, thus keeping the wound closed!
smile.png
I now have shredded paper all over my bed... she has been scrathing around in the crate and pushed a good 1/4-1/2 cup out through the door.
roll.png
lol.png
I will take this disruption gladly over the loss of a dear blue-ish green egg layer.

Even more to my surprise.... She laid an egg today! With the trauma of her injury and the bandaging ordeal... I really did not expect her to lay for a good 2-3 days.

Awww what a little fighter she is, and still laying........
Get well soon girl
I take care of my neighbors birds when they are outa town, and she had a hen that she thought the fox grabbed
had a gash under her wing all the way back to her tail you could see bone and it was full of maggots when Sue found her laying behind the coop.
we cleaned her up and Sue put salve on it everyday, and she healed right up. I was amazed....... Kim

She has not laid another egg since the one on the 6th... no matter how much I feed her or how much water I give her... but she seems healthy and happy(except for being stuck inside the dog crate, that is).

Back
Top Bottom