Potting shed turned chicken coop?

TurkenMomma

Songster
5 Years
Apr 22, 2015
So I currently have 4 Silkies, about to be 3 because my roo is WAY to noisy for our neighbors. I have a pre-fab coop which so far has worked ok but I would love to be able to stand up and clean it, instead of having to bend all sorts of ways. My DH is not handy and I am a teacher, so we don't have oodles of money to spend on a new coop. However... I have this little potting shed in my backyard. I'm trying to visualize how I would go about coopifying it. Any thoughts? Pictured is my current coop and then our little shed. It is about 7 feet tall, with a footprint of 7x5. It has a plywood floor. Is this too big for just a few chickens?

You can never have too much room :)
I currently have an 8x10 that houses 9 (3 of which are only 2 months old, so tiny). It helps having that much room in the winter months because they don't feel crammed into a small co-op because they don't want to go outside.

I'm a little bit of a redneck, bit I would put that she'd in place of the old coop. Cut a door under that window so you can still have viewing pleasure and if the sun rises on that window it can heat it in winters. Maybe slap some shelving/nesting boxes up inside. May not be the prettiest but I don't think chickens mind. Just a dry place to lay their heads and eggs. Mine isn't the prettiest but it works for me and my chickens.

Your shed will be wonderful! Make sure that the base and floor are predator proof; a dirt floor is fine as long as there's perimeter protection (deep solid foundation, or wire). The front could be a big door with a window, and a large hardware cloth window, facing south. Nice! Mary

Back
Top Bottom