Potty Training Chickens, How-to!

I trained my Yellow naped Amazon parrot, TJ, to 'go potty' on command. This was many many years ago; she is gone now. RIP She eventualy figured it out that we prefered that she go in the cage or on her play top. For many years, she also said the words 'go potty' whenever she relieved herself.
Some of my chickens are very smart and attentive. I don't bring them in the house, if I can help it, but I spend some time with them outside. And I can tell they understand A LOT.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum - and to chickens - but wanted to say thanks for Hackles for the great advice on litter training and the follow up posts from everyone.

I rescued Lucky the cockerel about a month ago, so it was an impulse decision to bring him home and as a result haven't been able to get hold of any hen friends for him yet (I'm in SW France). He lives in his chicken coop outbuilding at night, but during the day he prefers to be in the house with us most of the time and when I go outside he follows me around. He loves cuddles and having his neck rubbed and he is very special and affectionate. I'm learning alot because I didn't anything about cockerels before now (I have three horses, three rabbits and a dog also) and certainly never knew such a bond between cockerel and human could exist and so I had started to wonder if there was a way to litter train him, as we've trained the bunnies and the dog (of course).

Really pleased to find this post and have already created a tray, will work on knowing 'when' he's going to poop and will have the 'signal' and treats ready!

Thanks again and nice to meet you all and find other people who love cockerels and hens too!!

We always bring our chickens inside. Some have better indoor manners than others. I have several hens that will not soil their sleeping places. We used to have a hen that slept with the dog and did not poop in the dog bed, but made sure the droppings landed outside of the dog bed. And then I have chickens that drop stuff everywhere. They get to wear diapers.
I figured if the chickens that were raised by our hens were generally "cleaner" than they must have been taught by momma hen.
Thanks for the info Hackles. I'm going to try it out with some spring chicks. I might even try it with some of my hens.

It's great to read more true stories about potty trained chickens. I love how some people, even chicken owners won't even humor the idea; they flat out say, "NOPE, can't be done!" without giving it a second thought. As mentioned here broody hens won't poop in their nest so it's obvious that they CAN hold it, and if chickens can be trained to distinguish colors and shapes, the same should hold true for distinguishing where to go potty.
tongue.png

I'm definitely going to try this method once I bring a chicken into my apartment. I considered negative reinforcement as well, since I've read of someone who house trained a duck by chasing him out of the house with a mop (for some reason the duck feared that mop more than anything so that's why they used it) every time he went poo in the house. Now he waits by the back door every time he needs to go! Not sure how that could be applied to litter training, though. Giving treats sounds like the best way to make them go in one spot. I wonder how easily you could get a chicken to use the litter box while traveling?

Those who have dogs and chickens together - doesn't the dog eat the chicken poop? Mine sure does, and she doesn't even get to interact with the chickens.
sickbyc.gif

My chickens officially have responded to their first command -- "treats!" which as my dog will tell you is the real word for "come!" To give you an idea of the way things work around here, I expect my animals to rise to their higher levels of intelligence. The dog understands full sentences (this occasionally confuses human visitors who think I am talking to them).

Also, about a litter box while traveling - I know that my chickens look around for the nest box even if I moved it. So I would think they could be responsive to a litter box moving, too.

Last edited:
I am not really sure what to say... I guess I didn't realize that potty training a chicken had ever happened. I am applauding all who have done this or are attempting it. Please do not let my 3 year old know this or she will be trying to bring our ladies in... my motto for chickens is "F,F,F". I only want chicken in 3 places in my home... the freezer, the fridge, or the fryer (sometimes all 3) Good luck to all who attempt the training... a 2 year old boy and a 3 year old girl is enough potty training for me.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom