"Poultry Disease Manual" - a good book to have on hand

katharinad

Overrun with chickens
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Southern Oregon Mountains
Just got this book in the mail and it is excellent. Not only does it describe all those different diseases, it also gives treatment option and so on. In the back are pictures of the diseases to it is easier to diagnose them. The book is well worse its money.
https://agrilifebookstore.org/publications_details.cfm?whichpublication=2301
B-1031
Poultry Disease Manual

This manual is a comprehensive guide to preventing, diagnosing and controlling poultry diseases. More than 70 distinct diseases are discussed in detail. The description of each disease includes information about its cause, the susceptibility of poultry species, ways the disease is transmitted, clinical signs and lesions, how the disease is diagnosed, and ways to treat it. There are 126 color photos to aid in disease identification. There is additional information on the nature and cause of disease and on sanitation practices, and a glossary of common terms. The book is fully indexed so that diseases can be found by both their formal and common names. (100 pages, 126 color photos, 6 tables)

By: Michael Davis

Revision - October 2, 2006

Retail Price: $25.00

Last edited:
Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

How many pages on ducks?

The book is not set up by breed, but rather type of disease. Many diseases apply to multiple poultry breeds. So this book does cover them all.
It is setup by disease type:
Bacterial Diseases
Viral Diseases
Viral Respiratory Diseases
Viral-Like Respiratory Diseases
Bacterial Respiratory Diseases
Fungel Rispiratory Diseases
Protozoan Diseases
Internal Parasitic Diseases
External Parasitic Diseases
Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases
Miscellaneous Diseases

I find it useful since we cannot always find an avian vet. So you have to be able to identify many things yourself. Each disease will tell you what breeds it can effect. I figure I will highlight those for ducks. Some of us have multiple breeds so various highlighter colors may work well. Some of the treatments will need a vet's prescription.
This is the first book I've found that really goes into diseases without being a textbook to vets. It is also written in English and not in medical terms. I also like that it has photos in the back so you can compare it to an ill animal. It has 96 pages.

They are all color photos and can be gross to look at. Some of the photos show body parts in addition to the bird pictures, like liver etc from the autopsy. Overall great, especially when you don't know what you are looking at. The good part is the photos are in the back of the book, so you can read all the chapters without being grossed out.
smile.png

Here is the short intro from the front of the book:
"This manual is intended for use by poultry growers (backyard or commercial), veterinarian, poultry service technicians, Extension agents, and other as a reference for identifying and treating certain poultry diseases. Remember that most drugs must be prescribed by a veterinarian and that you should always follow the dosage recommendations."
I know this book isn't cheap, but this is the best I've seen so far.

Drei has a bump on her bill that seemed to be fading now it looks like there are a few more tiny ones coming up. I think I stopped the triple antibiotic treatment too soon. I may post a pic on a separate topic, but wanted to mention that this is what prompted me to go ahead and get the manual. Thanks again for the heads-up!

Back
Top Bottom