Poultry Grit and Oyster Shells??

I've got access to a lot of Oyster shell , as I'm close to some leases.. how do you feed it to the chooks ? Crush it up or just give them the whole shell ?

Sorry if this has been mentioned already in the thread :)

I've got access to a lot of Oyster shell , as I'm close to some leases.. how do you feed it to the chooks ? Crush it up or just give them the whole shell ?

Sorry if this has been mentioned already in the thread
smile.png

It has to be crushed, it should look something like this.

Does it have to be oyster shells? Can't I just go to the sea and get any shells, like mussles or abalone? I'm a bit short on oysters here :)

I've read different opinions about whether you can give your non-laying, young hens the oyster shell / extra calcium. I hope it's ok to do so because I have no way of separating anybody; they all free-range in the same fenced-in area.

... how bad would it be for almost-eleven-week-old chicks to get the extra calcium?

I've read different opinions about whether you can give your non-laying, young hens the oyster shell / extra calcium. I hope it's ok to do so because I have no way of separating anybody; they all free-range in the same fenced-in area.

... how bad would it be for almost-eleven-week-old chicks to get the extra calcium?
your babies might taste it to see what it is but after that they will likely completely ignore it till they begin to lay themselves as at this age their bodies have no need of the extra calcium that the oyster shell has.

i have 3 month old chicks out with my 5 month pullets that have just began to lay and my year old hens and i have oyster shell out 24/7 for my girls that are laying and the young one never even touch the oyster shell

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom