Poultry Netting vs Hardware/Metal Cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tovah, May 17, 2011.

1. Tovah

Tovah Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Oakland, California
    Hello. Need some advice. We are building a raised coop with an attached 6' enclosed run. We live in an urban area, but near hills and have raccoons constantly. Our plan is to bury the hardware cloth (1/2") underneath a few inches to keep out predators. We will have Poultry Netting (1") around the run. We would like to have the raised coop floor made with the netting or metal cloth to let the poop drop to a bottom compost collection. So.... should we use poultry netting or hardware cloth here? I saw a few posts that the wires can cause problems with their feet. Thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You shouldn't use anything less than 1/2 hardware cloth on the whole coop. Poultry wire to a raccoon is like opening a paper sack! 2x2 or 2x4 welded wire is good for your run and cover of the run.

For get digging!!! Attache the wire to the bottom of your run, laid flat out on the ground at least 2ft out. cover it with mulch, plant some bushes over it, they won't get under it. Never hand a critter get under my fence. My huge run doesn't have a cover. The smaller ones are covered with wire and tin to keep critters out. So far, so good!

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

1/2" HC all over for us... and lemme tell you it was NOT easy getting a dodecahedron covered in that stuff... but absolutely worth it. Over a year now and not a single solitary breech... that's with THREE uber high prey drive dogs + possums + snakes + neighbors cats and dogs (including the pit next door who's repeatedly gotten into our yard) + raccoons + even the occasional fox or skunk.

Yup yup, absolutely worth it not to end up yet another "Devastated" topic poster.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Pineapple Mama - haven't heard "dodecahedron" since "Doctor Who tv series " in the '80's - really took me back. I forgot how many sides that has but, the word really impressed me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by