poultry nipples advice

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
There is a plethora of postings about using the nipples. I got my PVC today and before I order, I have questions.

A customer service rep at QC supply said he recommends push in type for pvc applications and that screw in are harder to install. Yet, if I'm using PVC, shouldn't I use the screw in type.

The screw-in type requires a very specific hole size. And, of course, it's not a standard drill bit. So, it's much more likely that you'd encounter leak issues unless you're willing to hunt down and purchase that specific drill bit. The rubber gasket kind is supposed to be a little more forgiving.

going outside right now to take pics of my water setup.. I used the screw type nipple waterers and LOVE how easy they were. You have to use a certain size drill bit. Oh and if you use a thicker walled pvc that helps too!! Will edit my post to add pics soon. we LOVE the nipples that we got from member Neil G. (can't remember his last name right this sec.)

brb

The threads on the nipples are 1/8" NPT. You need an "S" drill for the hole if you want to tap it, and you'll need an 1/8" NPT pipe tap. I guess you could just force it in but you'll likely split the pipe if you are using schedule 40 pressure pipe. I drilled and tapped my SCH 40 pipe and still split it. The best way to do this is probably to use a tee with a glued in plug, then drill and tap the plug, that way you are working with a flat surface instead of a radius and thicker material as well. That is how I will be doing my second generation nipple manifold.

cool. i'm thinking i'll get the push in since it'll have gromets. I'll also use a 3/8 bit since it's 1/32 of an inch different. I'll use silicone sealant around the gromet.

My husband has made drinkers from buckets with the nipples installed. It's been two days and I haven't seen them use it at all. I removed their old drinkers but got worried and put them back for a little while today and then took them back out. How can I get them to use it? I tried taping a blue piece of tape from the bottom of the bucket that hangs down about an inch to draw their attention but it doesn't seem to be working either. I have some baby chicks that are using a smaller version. It's the older chickens that seem to be stubborn about it.
Thank you in advance for any ideas:/

haven't heard any suggestions on how to get my chickens to drink from the drinker with the nipples. It's been several days and they still wont use it. I have been giving them water in their old drinkers once a day but remove them afterwards hoping that they will use the new ones. I have tried letting them drip to draw their attention but they just stare at it.
I would really like for them to use it, especially since my husband worked so hard installing them:)

I actually put in a rabbit waterer and it took them about a week to figure it out. I put it in the run for them as their only water source there, they can go inside at any time for the normal waterer. Now they all run for the rabbit waterer when I open the door for the run in the morning. I got some actually nipples from QC supply and will be putting them together soon.

Back
Top Bottom