1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poultry Nutri-Drench dosage??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elizafern, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    Does anyone know how much Poultry Nutri-Drench I should put in the chickens water? I dont understand the directions on the bottle. PLEASE HELP........

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    just a few drops is what I do( but depends on the size of your water container) otherwise the water must taste different and they ignore it. Change the water everyday or slime will form

3. beaglex3

beaglex3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    i bought some nutri drench today on the advice of the feed store guy. our hens are a year old. they have been losing feathers lately and seem a little "off". not really sick, or anything that we can put a finger on. they are not free range, but do have a decent sized outdoor run. the feed store guy thought using nutri drench in their water may help with their molting and general health. should i use it on them or not?
    thanks

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Poultry Nutri Drench is rich in vitamins and minerals, good for your chickens. I wouldnt give it to them more than a week though, it can cause diarrhea.
    Your birds might be in molt. I recommend that you inspect your birds for lice/mites just in case. Look closely around their vent area.

5. beaglex3

beaglex3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    B'field, IL
    thank you for the quick reply. i was worried about mites and checked them as well as i could. they don't like to be held so i stir up quite a ruckus when i try to catch one. we have 14 chickens and only 3 of the 8 barred plymouth rocks are losing feathers. all of our rhode islands reds look fine. i was thinking if mites was the cause, all of them would be losing feathers. am i right about that? the gals who have lost feathers have bare rumps...i mean not a pin feather left. bare as a baby's bottom. i have dust baths in the run and one in the coop. i keep fresh ashes and di in all of them, and they use them regularly. i was hoping this would also help keep mites away.

i'll put some of the nutri drench in their water when i change it tomorrow. would giving it to them for a few days once a month be ok?

thanks!!

6. RainForestBird

RainForestBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    I gave my quail chicks Poultry Nutri-Drench for the last 2 days, and I should have read this thread first because now one of them has runny brown colored poop. I just took it away from them, I hope she will be okay. The reason I gave it to them is one of the chicks is half the size of the other and seems to have less feathering than the other. It really looks kind of bedraggled and the skin seems inflamed. It isn't scratching however. I think that it is stunted. They came from the same breeder and are the Texas A&M variety. The striped chicks all died. The larger one is flying already! She's the one with the runs. They will be two weeks old this weekend. I think that this product is too strong for chicks or smaller quail chicks and should only be given to adult birds.Either that, or the dose should be adjusted so that it is weaker for babies. It helped my pheasant, but he was five months old.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The dosage for Poultry Nutri-Drench is 1 ml orally for every 3 pounds of weight, so for quail would be quite small. It is much too expensive I think to put in the water, but better to dose each bird individually. For a vitamin/electrolyte mixture to add to water, I would buy a powder product such as Durvet or Rooster Booster poultry vitamins, which are more economical. If your chick seems runted, I would think about treating it for possible coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium.) Probiotics or a tiny bit of plain cultured yogurt added to feed twice a week may also increase gut health and immunity. Here is the Poultry Nutri-Drench label for instructions:
    https://valleyvet.naccvp.com/product/view/basic/1581002?u=country&p=msds

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. RainForestBird

RainForestBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Thanks, I have a probiotic supplement that I can add to the water. The reason I did not give the Nutri-Drench directly to the chick is because I had a problem with another chick getting water in its windpipe. I followed the instructions for adding the Nutri-Drench to the water. I already had some because I had a pheasant who seemed off. It did help him. But he got out of his enclosure and I have not seen him since. The raccoons got my female pheasant last night. What nasty animals!

I will watch the little stunted chick and see what happens after the probiotics. The other chick is doing very well, and they came from the same breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by