Poultry Protection

Do you use poultry protector, if so how?

• Yes, I spray poultry protector on my chicken

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No, I only use in my coop/run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don’t use any poultry protector

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
Thanks! Did you use this product before the mites or just after found the problem?
This product will not rid mites and neither will a molt. Get some permethrin...actually for depluming mites you might want to use Ivermectin.

I have 5, but Mr Roo is a Serama. I think I really have
4 1/2 chickens, 2 astrolorp and 2 minorcas. I’m in Issaquah, Wa.

I love Georgia Browns Sunday Brunch in Washington and the cherry blossoms in the spring. Mostly been to DC area. Great museums!

This product will not rid mites and neither will a molt. Get some permethrin...actually for depluming mites you might want to use Ivermectin.
I already used both. She didn't change. What I meant was once the molt occurred hopefully her feathers will be back.
The poultry protector did sooth her skin regardless if it killed anything.
I read about sulphur dipping chickens with depluming mites and there is scientific evidence that it does help.

Last edited:
Do you know if @MatthewsHomestead uses in coop/run or if also on hens direct? I would tag @MatthewsHomestead to conversation but do not know how. Can’t find option on reply.
I think you tagged them by using the @ sign. Lol. She has sprayed it directly on her chickens. She usually responds early morning.
I don't have regular mites. I believe one hen has depluming mites which popped up earlier this spring. Which, I'm not even sure that is what she has. As she is well in every other aspect except an area under her abdomen there is a loss of feathers and some feather breakage on her tail. I used the poultry spray as an aid. It seems to relieve the itch or whatever at least for a week. But, it could also be the sulphur dip bath that I give her as well.
The thing with depluming mites is that anything on the skin doesn't affect them - so like permethrin or even the spray won't work. I read the sulphur might work and has in some instances, but you really won't know except the the feather loss is less or once they molt the feathers will grow back. I used ivermectin on all of my hens awhile back when I thought they had scaly leg mite. The hen that has feather issues also had them at that time, so one would think it would take care of anything that was pestering the chickens. She still had the issue after the ivermectin.
As far as using a preventative, I don't see how it harms anything. In fact there are studies that say permethrin is becoming less effective. So, I don't see the harm in more natural preventative products until something stronger is needed.

Can't answer your poll as I don't use any 'preventatives' except a clean coop, good feed ration, and plain water.
I examine my birds regularly for external parasites and use permethrin spray or dust if I see pests on the birds, have only had lice...and scaly leg mites, which are easily eradicated with bag balm or vaseline, no need for anything else.
Using chemical, and maybe 'natural', preventatives can create resistance,
so they won't work once you really need them.
Using 'natural' 'preventatives' then claiming they are effective because you've had no pests is delusional. I just don't buy it unless the pests have been positively ID'd then eradicated using whatever treatment.

The thing with depluming mites is that anything on the skin doesn't affect them
Depluming mites are invisible to the naked eye, you'd have to split a feather shaft and put it under a microscope, so hard to know if you actually have them or there are other issues, like picking and/or brittle feathers.

I use it as a treatment and as a preventative. I have one particular Roo that likes to get into places where he picks up lice real bad. The first time I noticed it was THE WORST and he had spread it to most of my other chickens. Dawn dishsoap and ACV soaks were messy, time consuming, and didn't stop the cycle. Plus they stressed the birds. Then I found poultry protector. I like it because I can just grab 'em by their feet and while they are upside down they usually hold open their wings. I have some fairly fluffy birds so doing it that way helps me get in and squirt to the quills and skin. I swear by it and call it magic. I do use it in my nest boxes and roosts. But I use seven dust on the floors. Since I started this routine I have had little problems. Planting mint along the outside of the coop/runs helps too. And you can make a spray of mint, 1tbsp olive oil, fill the rest of the bottle with water and it helps as well. Plus it's a natural deodorizer. You can use Vaseline on their legs and comb as a moisture protection and to prevent mites. The mites can't breathe under Vaseline and they won't be able to climb up the slick legs.

Back
Top Bottom