Poultry Protector Spray for mites

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jrabbit, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Does anyone have actual experience using this on birds? We're having a mystery-illness situation right now, and for good measure, we treated their coop for mites, even though we don't actually see evidence of them (or I don't know what I'm looking for).

One of our hens is limping severely, but she's eating and drinking. I gave her a warm bath, and now we're considering spraying the hens with the poultry protector. We sprayed the coop and will dust it with Sevin, too. Another hen died mysteriously a week ago, so I'm panicking, really.

--janis

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    I'm thinking you have a something other than mites going on. Mites wont make a hen limp and they usually do not kill a hen unless its really bad and at that stage you would be able to see them clearly.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I've used it before... I think it would be a fine repellent/ protector but if you really think that you've got an established case of lice, I'd go with Adam's flea/tick spray after a bath to be sure you kill the buggers on both the chickens and their environment, then maintain it w/ poultry protector.

I'm new to chickens, so I can't speak to the symptoms of a mite infestation, but it sounds like you've got something else going on.

For the limping hen, did you check her foot? How about her range of motion in her leg?

4. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    I checked her legs while I was blowing dry her feathers. Everything seems just fine. She would curl her toes and seemed to not want to straighten them out, but i think that may have been more nervousness since she didn't have secure footing while on my lap.

I looked and looked at both hens, and there just doesn't seem to be any evidence of mites of lice. I'm just worried and don't know what else to try. A hen died mysteriously a week ago, when we were out of town, and i don't know what her behavior was like right before.

Janis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by