Poultry Show Question?

GRAM49

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Indiana
I have never been to a poultry show/exhibit, but plan on attending one in Lebanon, IN in Oct. and maybe the one in Columbus, OH in Nov. Are there opportunities to purchase birds at these events? Or is it just appreciating great chickens? Thanks for any info.
Gram

I have only been to the ones in California and there has always been a "sales barn" along with the exhibit halls. Also you can connect with the showers and breeders, such as here or on Yahoo groups, specific to the breeds you are interested in, and they often will carry the birds to the show and you can pick them up there! That is how I got a number of my pet birds last January, at the Stockton Poultry Show! I even got Andrew, my Call Duck, who is BEAUTIFUL, for $15.00 there!!!
Just start inquiring here, now, about what you are interested in, the breeders or people who show or have stock will let you know!!

Tina/tfpets

Oh, Poultry shows are so great and will further enhance your addiction! I went for years before I found BYC.

Last edited:
Some shows will have a for sale section. Others prohibit it for health and biosecurity reasons.

But whether or not they have a for sale section, ANY SHOW is a great opportunity to meet breeders face to face, see their stock first hand instead of through pictures, and talk to them about their breeding program. It is an excellent learning experience. Stop in, say hello, ask questions, see what their availability is, take pictures if allowed, and make new friends!

Gram
There is a seperate listing in the Poultry Section that talks about the Ohio National and one of the responses there says that there were "four big rows" of sales.
Since there is also a big Marans egg judging, I'm wondering if any of those would be available for sale? Tina do you know anyone in the Marans community who might have an answer?
John

Thanks Tina. I'm not a member and it would be great if you could find out. I'm interested in Marans, but in my location I can't have roosters (in fact, even hens will be iffy), therefor while I'm interested in hatching eggs, I'm tentative about beginning. I am planning on attending the Show in Indiana and the Ohio National that Gram mentioned. If the people at those shows are half as friendly as the people on this site, it will be an entertaining couple of days!
John

Back
Top Bottom