Poults, Pullets, when?

paulinaydern

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
I understand that there are different names for turkey growing stages, but would someone please clarify them for me?

At what age do they stop being a Poult and start being called a Pullet?

Do I even have those names correct?

Thanks,

P.

At what age do they stop being a Poult and start being called a Pullet?

You don't a pullet is a young chicken hen.

A turkey poult is called a poult until one can sex it. Usually 6-8 weeks old.

Jakes for young toms

Jennies for young hens

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. If I am correct, I have a Jake (on the left) and a Jenny. They will be three months old on Saturday.

When are they considered full grown, adult turkeys? At that point their labels will change again to Tom and Hen, is this correct?

They are pets, by the way.

teenagers1.jpg

In this photo they are using all the will power they have to stay outside the front door. They are getting really good at sneaking in very quietly when we're not looking. We must shoosh them outside at least 6 times a day. Good thing we have tile flooring.

Thanks again for the answers to my questions.

P.

Yes you are correct on the pair. Fully grown you are looking at about year or a little more. The APA considers a bird mature at one year, They can be sexually mature 6 to 7 months depending on the variety you have - the smaller ones mature sooner than the larger ones.

Steve in NC

at what age to they get their "adult" feathers... I have a poult who is almost 6 weeks old..when will it start to look less like a baby,and become more "adult" looking?

Back
Top Bottom