Powdered egg shells for 8week old chicks??

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Good Morning I hope you are reading this and doing well. I’m just sittin’ here with my 6 girls about 7 weeks old.
Question: i have been drying out egg shells and putting them in a grinder and saving the powder. Can i sprinkle some of this onto their morning veggies/fruits, or, are they still too young?
Question: i have them on dumor (or whatever) chicken starter with the 20% protein. At what age do I change their food?
Thank you for your time and expertise 🐥❤️

Attachments

• 8CC442E6-052E-4C39-8A86-817FA8C067F7.jpeg
    8CC442E6-052E-4C39-8A86-817FA8C067F7.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 5
They do not need the extra calcium until they are actually laying eggs. Giving it now, especially in a way they cannot avoid eating it, can cause kidney issues.

I keep my birds on starter feed until everyone is actively laying.

Edited to add...
Calcium supplements are best offered free choice in small pieces not powdered. Those that need it will self regulate what the eat.
Adding it to feed can force those not needing it to eat it which is not the best for them.

They do not need the extra calcium until they are actually laying eggs. Giving it now, especially in a way they cannot avoid eating it, can cause kidney issues.

I keep my birds on starter feed until everyone is actively laying.

Edited to add...
Calcium supplements are best offered free choice in small pieces not powdered. Those that need it will self regulate what the eat.
Adding it to feed can force those not needing it to eat it which is not the best for them.
Thank you! I havnt been giving it, instead, just making the powder. I will grind it up less so its in pieces moving forward and offer it when they starting laying eggs.
thank you kindly 🐥❤️

Back
Top Bottom