Power crisis!! OH NO!!

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
We lost electricity yesterday afternoon about 5:30 pm. I didn't think anything of it at first, since we don't lose power very often, then freaked when I remembered my incubator was going. I stuck some paper towel in the breathing hole for the fan and then wrapped it in some towels. The temp then read about 93 degrees. The power has just come on at 3:30 am, and now the temp reads about 74.5! Do you think my eggs will make it? I'm letting it heat back up and will check them later, but I just wanted to know if it's just going to be wishful thinking at this point, or if they'll make it.
hit.gif

Thank goodness for night owls! LOL

I'm on day 7.5. It was off for about 10 hrs.
sad.png
I checked the room temperature, and it was about 68 compared to the incubator, so hopefully, it didn't cool very fast.

Last edited:
The core temp of the egg takes longer to cool then the air around it. I totally know your panic! When I realized I had unplugged the wrong cord I could have cried! There is hope, several people have written on here about having power outages during incubation. Cooling off is not as bad as getting to hot.
Sylvia

I try to keep in mind how the eggs would cool if they were under a hen who decided to take a lunchbreak. I'm sure they cool pretty quickly when she's off of them for 15 to 20 minutes while she does her business. I'll try to go back to bed and forget about them until the morning.
roll.png

I had some on day 18 get down to the mid 70's when we lost power during an ice storm. 6 of the 12 hatched.....and I'm not sure the others would have hatched anyway. So there is hope!
smile.png

I had the exact thing happen to me about a week in half ago. The temp was down into the low 80's by the time I got the generator started (my DH wasn't home). I candled just a few days ago and 6 of the 12 are developing - so I think you will be o.k. - might take an extra day to hatch though. Good luck!

Mine was off last week for 3.5 hrs. Temp got down to 74. Candled when temp came back up and again the next day and they were still moving around like crazy....
wink.png

I lost power last winter for over 24 hrs and had more than I thought survive. I wrapped the bator in blankets and propped next to wood stove. It was zeroish outside so the bator still dropped drastically in temps.

Nothing to lose at this stage. Give them a few days and candle to see where you stand.

Best of luck Bliss !!!!!

Julie
big_smile.png

when I was asleep the power went out sometime early morning. When I woke up at 9AM I realized it was out. I thought there was no hope. 11 out of 15 hatched. the other 3 died sometime areound day 17

Back
Top Bottom