New to the group, first time hatcher - advice on helping or not needed please

zen phoenix farms

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Hi all, I tried asking this as a response to another post so as not to have too many threads going at once but not getting any replies, so sorry for the duplication here - I have 15 eggs in the incubator on day 23. I was about to take them out and discard them this morning and tapped on them one more time just to be sure, and at least 3 are peeping inside the shell as of this morning (no one peeped when I tapped yesterday). No external pips that I see yet. I was not able to successfully candle them at all, the candling light on my incubator doesn't seem strong enough (I ordered an external one today). Should I leave them until tomorrow as they just started peeping (I read it can take 12-24 hours after they start making sound)? My temperature has been constant 100 and humidity has fluctuated in the 50's & 60's throughout. We did have two power outages, the longer one was maybe 4 hours, but I kept them covered and as warm as I could throughout both. I don't want to make a safety hole if they're just not ready yet, but I don't want to leave them to struggle. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Let them be. One time we had a power outage and lost 80% of the eggs. 3 made it though and they hatched late. It is best to let them pip on their own. I have had them chirp inside their egg for more than a day before they externally pipped. I have found that trying to help unless its absolutely necessary is a great way to hurt the babies. The only time I help now is if I know for sure they are shrink-wrapped when.

Let them be. One time we had a power outage and lost 80% of the eggs. 3 made it though and they hatched late. It is best to let them pip on their own. I have had them chirp inside their egg for more than a day before they externally pipped. I have found that trying to help unless its absolutely necessary is a great way to hurt the babies. The only time I help now is if I know for sure they are shrink-wrapped when.
Thanks so much for the reply! I did just that and am glad I followed my instincts. I have 4 externally pipped this morning and at least one more chirping inside the shell. I'm hopeful that at least these 5 will be ok. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom