Power out and the high later today is 90

Orasa

Hatching
Jun 19, 2019
Is there anything I can do or need to do beyond make sure they all have water?? I have some adult birds in the house and some chicks that still have heat lamps (which are obviously not working now)

I have 2 small battery powered fans but they don't do much

Power company has no idea when this will be fixed

I’m not an expert. Here is my experience though living in Texas, where it gets in the 100s sometimes.

Not sure what their set-up is. I don’t think the babies need their lamps with it being 90. I guess that may not be what you’re asking though. :) I would make sure they have some good air flow. I noticed my chicks panting inside their little barn even with a window open (and no heat lamp) when it was probably only in the 80s and I had to let them out for fresh air and a breeze. They were a few weeks old then. They never liked to go in there much after that. Guess it was too hot. But I made sure they went in on cool nights with their heat lamp. I just had to hurry and let them out in the morning before it got too hot in the day.

But at 90 degrees they should be good outside with shade and water. No matter where they are, I just always keep checking for signs of too hot or too cold.

The adults should just need open air, constant shade, and water too. I sometimes wet their dirt so they have cooler dirt to play in. Also, you can freeze treats like corn and vegetables in water in an ice tray, then throw the cubes out to them to peck at to get to the treat in the center. The ice might help them cool off, and entertain them.

Also, one time, I made a horrible mistake and set my chicks in a crate in the shade, forgetting their shade would move as time went on. By the time I realized it an hour later, they were nearly dead.
:( I felt awful. I was so shook up for a couple of days because I nearly cooked them alive. Thank God they recovered!

I’m not an expert. Here is my experience though living in Texas, where it gets in the 100s sometimes.

Not sure what their set-up is. I don’t think the babies need their lamps with it being 90. I guess that may not be what you’re asking though. :) I would make sure they have some good air flow. I noticed my chicks panting inside their little barn even with a window open (and no heat lamp) when it was probably only in the 80s and I had to let them out for fresh air and a breeze. They were a few weeks old then. They never liked to go in there much after that. Guess it was too hot. But I made sure they went in on cool nights with their heat lamp. I just had to hurry and let them out in the morning before it got too hot in the day.

But at 90 degrees they should be good outside with shade and water. No matter where they are, I just always keep checking for signs of too hot or too cold.

The adults should just need open air, constant shade, and water too. I sometimes wet their dirt so they have cooler dirt to play in. Also, you can freeze treats like corn and vegetables in water in an ice tray, then throw the cubes out to them to peck at to get to the treat in the center. The ice might help them cool off, and entertain them.

Also, one time, I made a horrible mistake and set my chicks in a crate in the shade, forgetting their shade would move as time went on. By the time I realized it an hour later, they were nearly dead.
:( I felt awful. I was so shook up for a couple of days because I nearly cooked them alive. Thank God they recovered!

Oh you said some are in your house. Yeah I’d blow the fans on them. Our AC is out downstairs and I’m having to bring our 2 injured chickens inside during the night, and I just put the fan on “oscillate” on them. They go right to sleep with the gentle breeze.

They're all actually in the house for right now, we haven't gotten an outdoor area built yet

I'm less worried about heat than about air flow

Most of the windows in this stupid house can't open either (it's an old house that we're renting - trying to move out asap for various reasons)

They're all actually in the house for right now, we haven't gotten an outdoor area built yet

I'm less worried about heat than about air flow

Most of the windows in this stupid house can't open either (it's an old house that we're renting - trying to move out asap for various reasons)

Hope you’re power gets fixed soon, and you all get some air flow. We’ve just experienced about 3 power outages back to back. Then our ac went out. Miserable in Texas! All is fixed today though. Hope that’s the case for you too soon!

@Orasa - Welcome to BYC! So glad to have you here! There’s a wealth of knowledge here and experts are generous with their advice.

You might consider adding your location to your profile page. One less question you’ll be asked if you post for advice.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom