Power Out for Hours

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I woke up this morning to find the power out and my incubating duck eggs were cold 😭. The thermometer inside read around 60. They are on day 12 and there was only one that looked like it had been developing so I tried to warm that one up by keeping it against me. The power was out until about 10:30 but I don't know when it went out in the night. Is there any chance the duckling(s) could still make it?

I am less familiar with duck eggs, but believe they actually benefit from short cooling periods.
I have had both quail and chickens survive 8 hour power outages with no assistance from me besides wrapping the incubator with a blanket.
Hopefully someone with more duck specific knowledge will chime in soon.

Glad your power came back on. I bought some of those old-fashioned red hot water bottles to have on hand for this purpose. You need to have a gas barbecue for this to work. We get sporadic power outages here especially when it’s very windy and stormy. If we get a big storm, I will boil water and put in the hot water bottles in anticipation of a power outage and if we actually get a power outage and have not done so, then I can heat water on the gas barbecue and use this. Also helpful if you are brooding chicks and need to have a heat source for them if the power goes out.
Fingers crossed your little duckling makes it.❤️

Back
Top Bottom