Power Outage question??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ourlittleflock, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Quick Question

I am setting some silkie eggs on friday morning (they will have set out for 12 hours at that point) and we received a card from our power co. that Friday night at 1 am they are cutting the power for 2 hours to make improvements - WHY NOW!!!! What should I do for those two hours and will just 2 hours kill my eggs?

many thanks with any help

2. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    No, I dont think so. I have herd that it being warmer than normal can be worse then it being colder than normal. I hope everything goes ok! [​IMG]

3. quail kid

quail kid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I would wait after the power outage and then set the eggs, as I have heard that from day 1-3 it is very important for the temps to be steady and humidity [​IMG] and a few hours extra before setting the eggs wont be bad

4. Ryan McEachern

Ryan McEachern Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Maple Ridge, BC
    Not sure how it works in your area, but I wouldn't count on it being only 2 hours. Sometimes they can take considerably longer than their estimation, sometimes it only takes 15 minutes to do their job.

Have never tried incubating, but there are many on here who have, and someone will have the best advice.

5. kid-n-chickens

kid-n-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    I would wait and set them early Saturday morning as others have said you dont know for sure it will only be out for 2 hours. Plus at that point they will have just gotten warmed up to be cooled right back off. I would definitely wait b/c of this alone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by