Power outage temp drop

laadeebug

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Ok. So I am here in California where if you heard yesterday we had a huge power outage. I have eggs in the incubator and have been doing pretty well keeping the temp exactly 99.5 and humidity at 58% - 60% until the power went out. So from about 4PM yesterday until about 8am this morning the temp has been steadily dropping to 84.6. I am letting the temp come back by itself so far because I am afraid to cook them. Right now it is at 96.9 and 75%humidity.

Could somebody please give me some advice!! We are on day 5.

Thanks

You are fine. Anything under 24 hours should still give you good hatches but they will hatch late. If you ever have it happen again, if they have not started hatching yet just open the incubator till the power comes back on again. Dont open if its hatch time.

Thank you. That makes me feel much better about it. I am still new and have not had much luck. I have been getting so discouraged about chickens all together due to the stupid coyotes and the heat and not being able to get the incubating thing down yet. Two of these eggs I am hoping to get the offspring of my roo that just died from this heatwave we have been having. He was my favorite and I am so sad over him.
fl.gif

I had 9 survive and hatch after a 2 day power outage with only running the generator a handful of times. There is always hope don't give up.

Last edited:
The eggs getting down to 85 doesn't sound earth shattering to me.
and a heads up, as a dry hatcher, your humidity of 58 to 60 percent seems very high. I suspect you will have problems when hatch time comes, because the eggs haven't lost enough moisture. There are lotsa threads around here somewhere talking about humidity levels during incubation.
wink.png

btw:
welcome-byc.gif

and I do hope your roo's eggs hatch well!

trust me, it's okay
smile.png
I had quail eggs drop to a temp of 75 degrees for 4 hours on day 3 and they all hatched fine and healthy today
big_smile.png
They weren't even late

Thank you so much everyone. I just candled them tonight and I see no movement in the ones I bought online (no surprise I guess) but the four from my own girls are alive and swimming and looking so healthy so far. I am SO EXCITED!!!!

Back
Top Bottom