Power outage with ducklings

ShyanneW

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Maine
So ... A power outage due to a Nor’Easter wasn’t something I was too worried about when I got ducklings in late March. But apparently Maine still had one good storm up her sleeve.

My ducklings are around 4 weeks old, and are left with no heat lamp because we don’t have power, or access to a generator. I covered their brooder, enough so their have fresh air and whatnot, and they seem to be keeping each other warm. I put my hand down in and it seems relatively warm, their feathers aren’t sticking up (cold), they’re eating, drinking and doing normal ducking things. They’re not screaming at me like they do if they get cold outside either.

They’ll be fine right? I have no idea when CMP will get out power back on. But I’m a worry wart of sorts 😅

ower outage due to a Nor’Easter wasn’t something I was too worried about when I got ducklings in late March. But apparently Maine still had one good storm up her sleeve.

If they are inside they should be fine, but If you notice them start to shiver, huddle or decreased movement I'd bring them into a warm car, or you could also set them in the bathroom and have the water going on at hot, Don't set them in the water!.

If they are inside than they should not have supplemental heat past two weeks old. If they are outside it depends on your low temperatures, which we have no way of knowing unless you tell us.
They are inside! I’ve tried removing the heat, and they shiver/get cold. So it’s hanging high from the brooder, but still supplying a little heat for them

If they are inside they should be fine, but If you notice them start to shiver, huddle or decreased movement I'd bring them into a warm car, or you could also set them in the bathroom and have the water going on at hot, Don't set them in the water!.
They are inside, the power has just been out since midnight last night (it’s about 2pm here now), so the house is fairly cold. We (my boyfriend and i) were huddled up with blankets so I was concerned they may be cold too.

Okay, another question that went along with this:

Our power was out for a total of four days (it was a really bad storm, a large majority of the state lost power), and now the ducklings seem to not like the heat lamp as they didn’t have it for those four days?
I’ve read many conflicting things on when to take Pekins off of supplemental heat, but have ultimately been taking their cues to make them comfortable. I have it up high, as they’re 4 weeks old, but now that they’ve been off the supplemental heat for the few days, they pant almost immediately when I turn it back on. They’re eating, drinking, and doing everything else normal so, they’re just hot.
Long story short, my question is: is it safe to keep them off the heat lamp at only four weeks?

Back
Top Bottom