Power Outage

ellimf

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
Last night we had a thunder storm, the power went out, was not off for long, but the fuse to two of our bedrooms upstairs was blown or something. Of course, our incubator with our 8 duck eggs was in one of those rooms. Because the power came back on to the rest of the house, I didn't even think to check on them. Went to turn them this morning and the temperature had dropped below 30 degrees celsius (82F?). I am so upset as the eggs had less than a week left. We were just about to go on lockdown. I candled them, because I figured they are probably already dead, what harm can it do. A few still had definite movement. So I put them back in the incubator and they are currently back up to the proper temp and humidity.

Anyway, just wanting to know opinions. Do they have a chance or has the damage already been done?

I'm not sure about duck eggs, but I had a power outage for 12 hours on day 19 (of 21). All but one chicken eggs hatched (albeit two days late).

Interested to know if your babies survived. I have a bator full of guinea eggs, They are only 3 days into incubation and my power is out. Temp has already dropped below 80F.
Sorry, I'm a bit late in replying. I haven't been on in a while. But YES! ALL eight ducklings survived!
How did your guineas fair?

Remember that the mass of the egg, especially close to hatching, will cool slower than the air around them. I've heard of eggs hatching even after the nest was submerged in flood water for hours and hours, and others have reported that they didn't know that a broody hen had left the nest until the next day, the eggs were cool to handle, and they still hatched with an incubator finishing the job! Good luck!

And I'm so glad your eggs hatched so well, @ellimf ! It's always nice when people post updates to their initial thread!

Back
Top Bottom