Power outage!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pooze, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Pooze

Pooze In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2018
    So my chicks are about 2 weeks old (4 of them) and have a mama heating pad in the brooder. My power is out at the moment and according to the power company will be out for 4 hours yet. should I rush home to put a heat lamp on them, or will they huddle up and be fine for a couple hours? they don't seem to spend much time during the day under the heating pad, so my gut feeling is that they will be fine. thoughts?

2. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Are they outside or in? If you have no power for the heat pad how you gonna power the heat lamp? They should be fine for a few hours.

naf_appaz likes this.
  3. naf_appaz

naf_appaz Songster

May 18, 2017
    Central Mississippi
    depends on how warm it is where the brooder is located they should be alright if they are 70 or above no cool drafts for a few hours

4. Pooze

Pooze In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2018
    wow can't believe I didn't think of powering the heat lamp haha. I have a generator so I could power the heating pad if necessary. they are inside, in a basement that is about 65 degrees.

WVduckchick likes this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    If they are nice and healthy, a few hours shouldn't hurt them at that age, inside the house.
    and you know the power usually comes back on, just as soon as we go out of our way to re-power something, right? :gig

HuskerHens18 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: