Power Outtage during lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Jan 23, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Last Saturday I put 6 Serama eggs, 2 Wheaten Penedesenca eggs, 1 mutt egg and a Showgirl/Blue Polish egg into lockdown on day 17 (for the Seramas benefit). On Sunday I was gone for several hours. My husband came home that afternoon, unloaded hay and came inside to realize the power was off. He (VERY QUICKLY-good man!) hooked up the generator to the incubator and the brooder lights in the barn. By the time I got back a few hours later, the eggs were warm to the touch, but not hot [​IMG] We had 1 Serama baby, 1 mutt and 1 Penedesenca baby hatch. We lost all of the other eggs, including, I think, the 6 Serama eggs that were due at the end of next week. Dangit! I waited until last night to candle, just to give them a chance to hatch late. All of them look dead, poor little babies [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the loss of your eggs.

3. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I am so so Sorry [​IMG]
    I am glad some made it out though, not a total loss. it is terrible, trying so hard to get everything just right to have something out of our control ruin it.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    How long do you think you were without power? I have had eggs hatch after being 12 hours without power. Of course, it depends too on the outside temps. Don't pitch them till you are sure. Sorry to hear.

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG]

I agree with jen - don't totally give up on them, yet. I have seen lots of folks whose eggs survived things you wouldn't think they could!

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I'll keep hoping for ya! You never know!?!? You got a good Hubby! He's a keeper![​IMG]

7. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Thanks guys :) My hubby is an awesome guys. He's not really a poultry lover, but he sure loves me [​IMG]

I candled them last night and there's no movement in any of the remaining eggs [​IMG] I don't know how long we were without power, but I'm assuming it was at least several hours. I wonder if the Seramas were more at risk because they are so tiny and so cooled off faster? Poor little sweeties! It just kills me that the other Serama eggs look gone too. There's no movement there either. I can't tell for sure on the last Wheaten Penedesenca egg, but it doesn't look like the baby is moving. I'll give them another day and then let them go..

8. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Im so sorry [​IMG] I feel your pain...mine are on day 19..and the dang snow knocked out our power yesterday for quite awhile before we got them to the generator. they got down to 65 degrees. I wonder if theres any hope for my little guys either.

9. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Oh no, I sure hope your babies are OK..

10. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have candled eggs and saw no movement but i let them stay in the bator and some quite a few of the non movers hatched. i dont cull ant eggs unless they are clear at day 18 before lockdown. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by