Power Outtage!

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
It finally happened to me. Thunderstorm in the middle of the night. When I woke up at 5 am and realized the lights were out, I had to stumble out to the living room, find the flashlight, and saw the temp in the incubator and hatcher had both dropped to 80!. It was a warm night so it could have been worse but I have no idea how long they had been that cool.

Now the keet eggs in the hatcher probably weren't viable anyway since I got 16 healthy keets out of this batch, a few days ago. These were the left overs.

But the incubator was only on day 22 or 23 and those keet eggs would be going into the hatcher early next week. Plus when the power came back on I had wrapped a blanket on it) the heater didn't restart. So we transferred the eggs and turner to the hatcher. No idea if anything is still alive.

*sigh* And I promised DH no more incubation this year.
sad.png

We had a power outage also this morning. I put a blanket over the incubator, but it still went down to 81.

So we will see.

Catherine

I have heard of eggs surviving power outages many times. It is said if it isnt too terribly long, the inside of the egg keeps the warm temps for a while.

Last edited:
We had a power outage a few days ago, just a few days before I stopped turning the eggs. I quickly put a towel in the incubator to cover the eggs, then put a very warm washcloth into a zip lock and laid it on top of the towel. I had one chick hatch last night and a few pips today. I wasn't sure what would happen, just had to keep those eggs warm:))

Back
Top Bottom