Power went out, How long is too long?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zootopia, May 30, 2012.

1. Zootopia

Zootopia Songster

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    OK, had a bad storm in the evening power went out (usually not out long so I didn't worry, went to bed, I work mid-nights) Got up at 11pm power still out, threw blankets over everything and went to work. Power was still out when I got home (I did not uncover to check the temp) Power came back on at 11:15 so about 14 hrs off. I had 3 bators going, a Hovabator and a Sportsman that had several shipments split between them so I could tell if there was any real difference, some eggs had only been in 2 1/2 days on up to some that had been in for 13 days. The other was a Repti Pro with guinea (8 days) and duck eggs (? found)
    I didn't move anything, but am not holding my breath. Will candle tomorrow night when I'm off. Anyone know if the younger or older are more likely to survive? I wanted to check temps but didn't want to uncover them.
    Thanks

2. I read that when very early in incubation it will probably only delay the hatch date. Be sure that there is plenty of oxygen, hopefully the blankets don't cut that off.

Also I hope that someone with a similar experience can give you information. At least this will be a bump.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    I read a thread here about one member's incubator that got turned off accidentally. It was off for 24 hours and the chicks hatched out fine. So there is a chance they'll be o.k. Though this may delay the hatch a bit. Hope all goes well!

4. Zootopia

Zootopia Songster

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    I took a quick look at them a few min ago and the 9 I had on lockdown at least a couple are moving, the rest are too dark to tell. A turkey on day 24 id moving and some ducks that have been in since the 17 are kicking away. Most of the eggs have been in a week or less so it may be another week until I know anything other than the clears. I'm at least hopeful now that I've had a chance to take a look anyway. [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Sounds good [​IMG]

6. Now you will just have to proceed and keep your hopes up. Wishing you a good hatch!

7. Apriljc

Apriljc Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    What was the incubator temp when it finally came back on? (Just curious how well they held their temps.)

Good luck!

8. Jared

Jared In the Brooder

I built a cabinet incubator, about 15"x15"x 42". I placed about 10 pounds of lead ingots (to act as heat sinks) on 2 separate shelves (20 pounds total). My incubator isn't sealed up great around the front door, but when we lost power for 4 hours, the temp didn't drop below 98 degrees, I'd say the temp in the house was around 70 degrees. I feel the heat sinks helped significantly in keeping the temp fairly consistent during our power outage. I know it would be difficult to put these types of heat sinks in many purchased incubators, but perhaps one could find a way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: