Practice beheading chickens.

I agree with Redsoxs. A hatchet is easier to control than an axe.

I’m right handed. I have some nails driven into a chopping block. I put the chicken’s neck in the slot formed by the nails. Hold the chicken’s legs with your left hand. Gently pull to snug it up. Swing the hatchet with your right hand. The target does not move.

How wide is the slot? How big are your chickens? I suggest driving the nails to form a V. One size fits all. Make the bottom maybe 3/4“ apart and the top maybe 1-1/2”. That should fit most chickens.

I suggest practice so you can hit the target, like Mr. Hen suggested. Just get used to handling the hatchet.

Thanks, Ridgerunner, excellent description, very complete. I've split a lot of wood so I believe your V design and method will work for me.

So, does everyone think a hatchet is easiest for one person than the head in a cone and slice method? It certainly would be a quick kill, but I'm not sure how I hold the chicken still enough to swing the hatchet. This is particularly true for my healthy rooster whom, if he gets much more aggressive, will be my first kill. I may need to see some videos or pictures of the set up, because I'm trying to imagine how I could hold him down with one hand at all, much less swing a hatchet at the same time.

I went on YouTube and watched videos before I did the deed what ever you use make sure it is sharp if you use the cone method normal kitchen knife for me didn't work well. I found a fillet knife to cut the throat was much easier

So, does everyone think a hatchet is easiest for one person than the head in a cone and slice method? .

I think the one you can do without flinching is the easiest. I grew up using an axe to kill chickens for the table, split wood for kindling, cut down trees, clear fence rows, make fence posts, and who knows what else. For me it is a natural tool to use. The hatchet is even easier to control than the axe I grew up with. Maybe a machete or meat cleaver would suit you better than a hatchet.

If you are not used to using an axe or hatchet, that might be dangerous for you especially if you flinch or close your eyes while swinging the hatchet. The cone and knife may be the easiest for you. I don’t know what you can do. We are all different.

I agree chop would be easier than cone. If you chop, hold your bird upside down by the legs and he will calm down. Then it only takes a second to hold him over the chopping block and do it with the implement already in your other hand. I use a machete or cleaver, both of which are sharp and frequently used for other purposes so I am comfortable with them.

I think if you do the nail thing and put them in a V, the bird will too easily slip back out by lifting its head a little. Seems like they should be parallel, but I haven't tried it.

I agree chop would be easier than cone. If you chop, hold your bird upside down by the legs and he will calm down. Then it only takes a second to hold him over the chopping block and do it with the implement already in your other hand. I use a machete or cleaver, both of which are sharp and frequently used for other purposes so I am comfortable with them.

I think if you do the nail thing and put them in a V, the bird will too easily slip back out by lifting its head a little. Seems like they should be parallel, but I haven't tried it.

Have you ever tried it? I've never had one lift its head and get out.

There is an easy way to secure their head. Take some twine and make a loop like a lasso. Run the twine through the loop and tie the other end to the end of the chopping block (you can put a nail in the chopping block to tie the twine to). Put the chicken's head into the loop, slightly tighten, lay the chicken on the block so that there is little to no slack on the twine. They can't move their head at this point. You can then chop off the head, loosen the lasso, re-use.

I've been discussing this topic a great deal with dh. we're both coming to the conclusion that the chopping block might work best for us. I have a cleaver that is heavy & has a good blade. he just suggested picking the bird up by the feet, holding till bird relaxes a bit. then wrap w/plastic wrap enough to restrain flapping after head off to help keep blood from flying everywhere & to keep bird from banging against anything that would bruise the meat.
what do you think?

All of the posts are good advice. I think in the end it really is just what you think you can do with the most confidence. I have never in my life used a hatchet so while I doubt it is hard to do, it made me nervous and I have no skill at it. I process alone by wrapping the chicken in a towel, securing her in my lap with my thighs and slitting her throat over a bowl.

I watched A LOT of videos because I am a visual learner. This ended up being my favorite and is close to what I do. It would probably not be the most efficient for processing a whole flock of meat birds but for just a few birds or a cull situation, I like it personally. Two parts to the video, first is killing and second is breaking the bird down.

Buying a whole chicken at a grocery store to practice how hard you need to press wouldn't be a bad idea if you want to practice on a non-living thing first. I know the asian market in my area sells hens with the neck and head still in tact.

WARNING: may be graphic to some.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/how-to-kill-a-chicken-video.html

Last edited:
Have you ever tried it? I've never had one lift its head and get out.

No, I haven't. Chopped heads, but without nails. You provided enough detail in your original post describing that method that I don't doubt that it works as described. By the time I wrote my post, I had forgotten the details.

So as I said, I would THINK the bird might lift its head but, as I also said, I haven't tried it. I defer to your experience. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom