Prairie BlueBell Egger

iamtrinat

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2016
Hi all!

I purchased this beautiful Prairie Bluebell Egger via Hoover's Hatchery the first week of March, so right at 4 months old now. I'm beginning to wonder if I have an imposter in my hen house. Would anyone care to take a guess on it s gender? Since this is a "new" crossbreed, I can't find much in the way of reference. Thanks!
IMG_20190708_191055023_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190708_191244794.jpg

Hi all. I am new to this forum and new to chicken keeping in the last year ,I've been lurking around reading for awhile. I also aquired a prairie bluebell egger in April of this year, actually I had 2 but the other wandered off into the woods and never came back! I've been googling about trying to find more pictures of what this bird looks like as an adult rooster or hen and am having no luck, I'm wondering if anyone here has any updated pictures they could share of their prairie bluebell eggers and if you know what you've got as far as gender. I've actually sent pictures off to Hoover's in the hopes THEY can tell me what I have! Anyway, attaching a picture of what I have. I've been told it's a roo, but it's got very rounded looking feathers where pointy saddle feathers should be and still has no comb or waddles, nor does it crow lol. The one very long tail feather is damaged and I've just been waiting for it to fall out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_180827160.jpg
    IMG_20190806_180827160.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_20190806_180841081.jpg
    IMG_20190806_180841081.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_20190806_180749638.jpg
    IMG_20190806_180749638.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 862
Hi all. I am new to this forum and new to chicken keeping in the last year ,I've been lurking around reading for awhile. I also aquired a prairie bluebell egger in April of this year, actually I had 2 but the other wandered off into the woods and never came back! I've been googling about trying to find more pictures of what this bird looks like as an adult rooster or hen and am having no luck, I'm wondering if anyone here has any updated pictures they could share of their prairie bluebell eggers and if you know what you've got as far as gender. I've actually sent pictures off to Hoover's in the hopes THEY can tell me what I have! Anyway, attaching a picture of what I have. I've been told it's a roo, but it's got very rounded looking feathers where pointy saddle feathers should be and still has no comb or waddles, nor does it crow lol. The one very long tail feather is damaged and I've just been waiting for it to fall out.
That's a Pullet

Hi all!

I purchased this beautiful Prairie Bluebell Egger via Hoover's Hatchery the first week of March, so right at 4 months old now. I'm beginning to wonder if I have an imposter in my hen house. Would anyone care to take a guess on it s gender? Since this is a "new" crossbreed, I can't find much in the way of reference. Thanks!
View attachment 1839317 View attachment 1839318
Can anyone tell me what you call this comb? Modified pea comb just doesn't seem to do it justice

I’m in this boat too. She is supposed to be a prairie bluebell, but she is so big she is scaring me. She is by far my biggest chicken. I got her in August, and she was between four and eight weeks old then (supposedly). Like others, I can’t find much to compare her to. Thoughts? She? Correct breed?

Attachments

• E680BB7A-95C9-4093-97DC-6EC428F44186.jpeg
    E680BB7A-95C9-4093-97DC-6EC428F44186.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 847
I’m in this boat too. She is supposed to be a prairie bluebell, but she is so big she is scaring me. She is by far my biggest chicken. I got her in August, and she was between four and eight weeks old then (supposedly). Like others, I can’t find much to compare her to. Thoughts? She? Correct breed?

So.... 'she's' what age then? The rust in the wings usually indicates cockerel, so I'm holding back referring to this one as a pullet or a cockerel. As for 'breed' (s)he's a cross, just like any other blue bell egger. That name is just a fancy name for an easter egger. Its like having a labradoodle, or a pugle. Its a cross breed with a fancy name that won't breed true if you had two of them to breed together.

I honestly don’t know how old she is. She/he was born in June or July. We got her and her sisters from a friend that has a farm with chickens, ducks, turkeys and quail among other animals. He only had an estimate of her age.

Back
Top Bottom