Prairie Bluebell?

BurbCoop

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2017
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Big-R had Black Australorps and Prairie Bluebells commingled in a single bin. Of the sea of chicks that looked to be Australorps, we chose this one because it looked slightly different and appeared to have a pea comb assuming it might be a grey/black Prairie Bluebell. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 98BD4196-3A25-4EC2-BDE1-8D8A0FDEB051.jpeg
    98BD4196-3A25-4EC2-BDE1-8D8A0FDEB051.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DA7731DF-CFC8-457C-8B95-6370108FE52D.jpeg
    DA7731DF-CFC8-457C-8B95-6370108FE52D.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 16
Awww what a cute little thing!

Prairie Bluebell are a specific mixed breed that lays lovely light blue eggs. That said being mixed they come in a wide variety of colors.
I have one that is white with a red chest and one that is chocolate brown with gold in the neck feathers.
I am thinking you did indeed get a bluebell there. The color will likely be quite dark when grown but black, blue, or brown is up in the air in my opinion.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! If we’re all correct, I think she was the only Prairie Bluebell in that entire bin, lol.

We’ve really enjoyed having general Easter Eggers in our flock over the years. They hold up well to the crazy Colorado climate swings.

Will be curious how the Prairie Bluebell compares with them having Leghorn in them. As with any hybrid, I’m sure the temperament and traits vary widely.

So far, this chick has proven to be very calm intelligent. You can almost see the gears turning behind those dark eyes.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! If we’re all correct, I think she was the only Prairie Bluebell in that entire bin, lol.

We’ve really enjoyed having general Easter Eggers in our flock over the years. They hold up well to the crazy Colorado climate swings.

Will be curious how the Prairie Bluebell compares with them having Leghorn in them. As with any hybrid, I’m sure the temperament and traits vary widely.

So far, this chick has proven to be very calm intelligent. You can almost see the gears turning behind those dark eyes.

Mine are outgoing, smart, active, not super skittish, Rita and Robin can be rather bossy with lower ranking hens and have done well these last 4 Colorado winters.

I look forward to your updates.

Curious, what egg color did this gal end up laying? Or was it a roo afterall?

👋🏻 Hi Azulette - She is definitely a Prairie Bluebell Egger hen and she lays the large pale blue eggs expected for this type of hybrid.

Funny enough, she is by far the smallest bird in the flock, but lays the largest eggs. Her eggs shown below next to our Cinnamon Queen’s who is still laying tiny eggs.

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_7946.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom