Has anyone seen a Prairie Bluebell look like this?

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I bought this chick at the feed store. I have several Prairie Bluebells, but I’ve never seen one like this, it looks like a California White to me. The whole bin looked like this. I know Prairie Bluebells can come in any color, but I’ve not ever seen any that look like this, and wondered if anyone on here has had one that actually was a PBB, but looked like a California White?

Attachments

• E35472AD-2B10-479F-A4C7-D9F4176780E1.jpeg
    E35472AD-2B10-479F-A4C7-D9F4176780E1.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DDAC6F12-6237-46F3-A781-9711F54C9EA8.jpeg
    DDAC6F12-6237-46F3-A781-9711F54C9EA8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
It does look like a California white, or an Austra white. Check its comb type. If it is single rather than pea, then it is probably one of those varieties instead of Praire Bluebell egger. Especially since all the chicks in the bin were the same color. That is very unlikely with PB eggers.

It does look like a California white, or an Austra white. Check its comb type. If it is single rather than pea, then it is probably one of those varieties instead of Praire Bluebell egger. Especially since all the chicks in the bin were the same color. That is very unlikely with PB eggers.
You’re right! I’ve never seen a bin of PB that look the same. I was in a hurry, and that didn’t even register! It has a straight comb too. I guess I have another California White. They are really pretty and awesome egg layers, so fingers crossed I have a pulley! Thanks for your response. I’ll remember for sure next time I’m buying chicks 🤣

Mama would be a white leghorn so single combs are definitely possible. Purchased 4 today and 3 have single combs. They were in a bin with black sexlinks. There were white chicks as well but they looked just like the PBBs. No other white breeds were present in any bin. My thoughts are that depending on the genetics of the Araucana sire, some chicks will just end up white.

Mama would be a white leghorn so single combs are definitely possible. Purchased 4 today and 3 have single combs. They were in a bin with black sexlinks. There were white chicks as well but they looked just like the PBBs. No other white breeds were present in any bin. My thoughts are that depending on the genetics of the Araucana sire, some chicks will just end up white.
They had an entire tub of them in there today. White with an occasional black spot, single combs. Looked exactly like California Whites, but they were also labeled Prairie Bluebell. I guess I’ll know for sure when she lays. I’ll try to remember to post an update.

How did your baby turn out? I have a Prairie Bluebell hen that was yellow with a black spot on her head from day 1, straight comb. She started laying 4 weeks ago and has now laid everyday for 21 days straight

Attachments

• 20230327_164517.jpg
    20230327_164517.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230814_071736.jpg
    20230814_071736.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230806_155033.jpg
    20230806_155033.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 50
How did your baby turn out? I have a Prairie Bluebell hen that was yellow with a black spot on her head from day 1, straight comb. She started laying 4 weeks ago and has now laid everyday for 21 days straight
She ended up looking like a white legbar! She’s in the nest right now so I may be getting her first egg 🥰 I feel like she’s a legbar/California White mix, so technically she really is a prairie bluebell after all!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 57
Curious has she laid yet? Did you get blue eggs? Mine is 14 weeks and I’m praying she actually lays blue

Curious has she laid yet? Did you get blue eggs? Mine is 14 weeks and I’m praying she actually lays blue
We have 50 chickens, so I’m not positive, but there is someone laying a small, blue egg. She’d be one of my new layers right now, so it could be hers! I have another prairie bluebell that lays such a pale blue it’s almost white, and then another one that lays a really blue egg.

Back
Top Bottom