Prairie Chickens

SuperPeacockman

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just found out that you can own prairie chickens and I a very interested and want to know more. Who breeds them other than Prairie Ridge Aviary? How much space do they require? And an other useful info please

mine came from Brad Rabe at Prairie Ridge Aviary. You might also try Dan and Silene Snyder at www.snydersgrousepark.com

Either Brad or the Snyders would be way more knowledgeable than me.

a few tips would be:

Feed good diet, Mazuri with plenty of greens and fruits/berries

GROUSE ARE MORE PRONE TO DISEASE THAN PHEASANTS
Cleanliness is next to godliness
Wire bottomed or sand aviaries are best (keep clean!)
Do not house near any of your other birds
Scrub shoes daily/whenever you enter their aviary with a bleach bath so you do not track feces from other birds
Chickens are evil
do not visit other bird owners homes (at least without a proper cleansing afterword)
Assume every other bird raiser has sick birds and be very careful what you bring to your place. Beware of and do not accept birds from people with Chickens, people who dismiss disease as common and nothing to worry about, people who frequent bird auctions and/or buy/sell/trade birds frequently.
Clean waterers and feeders frequently.

I wood like to hatch some prairie chickens to sell back to the states that need them is there a such thing as doing that and make some money please let me if this can be do i have raised chickens all my life now i wood like to start my own small bussines on praire chickens please call me at 1-417-826-5962

I looked at the site for fun, WOW someday when i have won the lottery to do it right and have the time ....

But until then i can just go look the birds are amazing the water Foul took my breath away,

Despite having the common term chicken in their name, Praire Chickens are far from as simple to raise. Rocket up tried to spell out some of the issues that you'll need to deal with. Start by doing your research. These grouse are not for the casual BYCer type of chicken keeper. They require a whole different level of knowledge, a more intellectual outlook, with attention to details not common among the average chicken keeper.

celebrate.gif
I really want to buy some of the paririe chickens but i have no clue where to start to buy one if you have any information just respond back to this message than you... :)

Back
Top Bottom