Praise to all teenage moms/mothers of teenagers

Martaals

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
The Netherlands
I temporarily have two roos that we brooded out, and they are like 19 weeks I think.

I have praised the hen that brooded them out for being a fantastic mother, but now I think it's time to give some credit to hen number 2. She makes sure they understand that they are lowest in rank, and they really respect her and don't bother any of my hens. But as long as they behave they are also welcome to eat and chill and particiapte.

But I also see her taking it upon her to tell the cat off when wants to tease the roos, and to generally keep the peace. Super interesting to follow.

20211015_111502.jpg

20211015_111500.jpg

Aaalright that's enough!
20211015_111504.jpg

No, I don't care who started it
20211015_111508.jpg

I don't even wanna hear about it. As long as you live under my wing, you will behave like a decent chicken. Alright, off you go, there's plenty of scratching to be done.
20211015_111520.jpg

Like this we can all relax and have a nice day
20211015_111036.jpg

And don't worry, the cat won't bother you when I'm around.
20211015_110438.jpg

Thanks Greta :love
20211015_110607.jpg

To me this is really a benefit from having given eggs to a broody. The mother Aart, who is the leader of the flock, doesn't have the bulk to get that same respect from the roosters now their hormones are kicking in. She's all fluff and noise. So I would say its an amazing team effort
20211014_110504.jpg

Attachments

• 20211015_110612.jpg
    20211015_110612.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The broody hens name is Aart? :love That is really sweet.
When I saw your title, referring to teenage moms, It reminded me of my pullet who has a couple babies a few weeks ago. She has been an A+ mother, protecting her chicks from the other flock members, teaching them how to use the nipple waterer and getting food for them. It's been a great learning experience for me to see this in action.
20210920_161035.jpg

The broody hens name is Aart? :love That is really sweet.
When I saw your title, referring to teenage moms, It reminded me of my pullet who has a couple babies a few weeks ago. She has been an A+ mother, protecting her chicks from the other flock members, teaching them how to use the nipple waterer and getting food for them. It's been a great learning experience for me to see this in action. View attachment 2866455
Hahaha, yeah, I meant mothers of teenagers, but it does sound like young mothers 😅

But it's great that young hens can know exactly what to do.

Is your pullet a blue cochin?
They look super cute :love

Yes, Aart is a Dutch name, it's actually a male name - but she is the boss of our flock so perhaps that looked good on the CV 🤭

Do you breed your own or did you hand her eggs?

Is your pullet a blue cochin?
They look super cute :love
I don't think so. Don't cochins have feathered legs? Her legs are bare.
We got her in a assorted breed bin for $1 when she was a chick. I think she's some kind of colored egger, but don't know what kind. She has a puff on her head, as well.
Do you breed your own or did you hand her eggs?
They're our own eggs. Just a barnyard mix. The only thing I know for sure about their breed is that they are a quarter silkie, because my cockerel is half silkie. Otherwise they could be part Easter egger, red sex link, Leghorn, or Sapphire gem. I'm excited to see how they end up turning out. 🥰

I don't think so. Don't cochins have feathered legs? Her legs are bare.
We got her in a assorted breed bin for $1 when she was a chick. I think she's some kind of colored egger, but don't know what kind. She has a puff on her head, as well.

They're our own eggs. Just a barnyard mix. The only thing I know for sure about their breed is that they are a quarter silkie, because my cockerel is half silkie. Otherwise they could be part Easter egger, red sex link, Leghorn, or Sapphire gem. I'm excited to see how they end up turning out. 🥰
Yes, cochins have feathered legs and no puff on their head (but are sort of puffy everywhere else haha). From the angle in the picture I didn't see the puff on the head, but now you say it I see it. She just looked really Fluffy 😄

Exciting mystery chicks 💕
I'm curious how the light one with sort of brown/reddish on the head will feather up!

I was all prepared for a rant about how your teenagers refused to clean the chicken coop
🤣
I mean...that's why people have kids, right? To clean the chicken coop?

On topic though: that's freaking adorable. Go chicken mom!
Hahaha I don't have kids, but I do borrow the neighbours daughter sometimes for this purpose 😂

And I guess it's all a bit the same, having teenagers just loofing around and picking fights like these lovely cockerels (they are actually quite nice) 🤭 whether you're a hen or a human, I applaud for your efforts :bow

Back
Top Bottom