Praying Mantis Thread

How can you tell? It's been sitting since before winter.
It is pretty hard to tell, when mantids hatch they crawl out of this little opening called the emergence area, it kind of looks like scales running down the ootheca. Mantids hatch when they are warm for like around 2 weeks, so it depened on your area. If you frequent there and saw no sheddings then they did not hatch yet!

Some examples of mantids hatching. \/
20210409_110016.jpg

20210409_110023.jpg

It takes around half an hour, it is very fast.

It is pretty hard to tell, when mantids hatch they crawl out of this little opening called the emergence area, it kind of looks like scales running down the ootheca. Mantids hatch when they are warm for like around 2 weeks, so it depened on your area. If you frequent there and saw no sheddings then they did not hatch yet!

View attachment 2629733
View attachment 2629736
That is pretty cool!! It hasn't changed much in appearance except the white color has faded but I want to say it's still intact 🤞 would be cool to watch them emerge :)

That is pretty cool!! It hasn't changed much in appearance except the white color has faded but I want to say it's still intact 🤞 would be cool to watch them emerge :)
That would be amazing if you could watch them emerge!

View attachment 2629733
View attachment 2629736
Wow thank you for sharing this!

It's like looking at stills from some alien movie... 😲
Yeah! I still can't get the image out of my head! When they are crawling out, they don't have all of their legs pumped with blood, so only two back legs work and they kinda wiggle out of the ootheca like maggots with two tails. It is very very nasty. :sick

Back
Top Bottom