Praziquantel in water for tapeworm treatment

Tapeworms will shed the it's segments -- those little rice like things -- only once or maybe twice a day. For some reason the shed rarely happens at night. That makes it harder to gauge whether a bird has tapeworms, just by looking at poop boards.

Maybe it's different with turkeys, but when my chickens had tapeworms, I only saw the segments in droppings shed between late morning and mid-afternoon. And, yes, they have to be relatively fresh for you to see them, as those little segments will quickly wiggle away.

So you may want to spend some time outside towards the middle of the day to try to get a sense of who has the worms so you can individually dose.
OK that makes sense! Possibly i have only been noticing the turkey tapeworms because turkeys make giant poops right where I want to step. chicken droppings are tiny in comparison. I'll pay more attention to the chickens for a few days. The nighttime thing also explains why I never found tapeworms in fecal floats, I collect samples from poop board.

It looks like you probably got things figured out based on more posts, but for what I had posted here earlier, here is the product I had used (should've posted that with my calculations): https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Tapeworm-Dewormer-weeks-older/dp/B00PXM1ONW/

Basically whatever the turkeys are eating, if other turkeys/chickens have access to it, they can get it too. I think my vet said they can come from snails, and if they are in our run they can all eat snails.

You should treat all of them, I don't think they will just go away. When you see worms I think it's safe to assume they all have access to the same source of the worms.
What is problem with molting? I have only one molting. Safeguard 1x daily for 5 days did not work. Slowdown, yes, but I'm still seeing segments in the poop of one or 2. I think I ordered fish flakes?Praziquantel 50gm. Someone said safeguard won't work on tapeworm. 2 of my chickens are really skinny 😭

What is problem with molting? I have only one molting. Safeguard 1x daily for 5 days did not work. Slowdown, yes, but I'm still seeing segments in the poop of one or 2. I think I ordered fish flakes?Praziquantel 50gm. Someone said safeguard won't work on tapeworm. 2 of my chickens are really skinny 😭
Safe-Guard doesn't work on tapeworms.
Get this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...c1bYjib3SzxcN__YQpYmvpAyrl9FdpBUaAiHNEALw_wcB

Some people choose not to deworm during molt because there may be a chance new feathers come in ugly.

Please...Your thread is found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-with-worms.1607373/#post-27389206

Sorry, but do you have someone at home that can help you with this?
You have Tapeworms in the poop, you need to treat with Praziquantel.

Safeguard is Fenbendazole, not Praziquantel, so the Safeguard will not treat the Tapeworms.

Please...Your thread is found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-with-worms.1607373/#post-27389206

Sorry, but do you have someone at home that can help you with this?
You have Tapeworms in the poop, you need to treat with Praziquantel.

Safeguard is Fenbendazole, not Praziquantel, so the Safeguard will not treat the Tapeworms.
Ok. I have Equimax paste. I know the dose. All 5 have segments(moving ones). I have weighed them. Now someone is saying that they have to be fasting? And no I don't have help but I can do it. If I give it first thing in the morning how long before I can let them eat?

Just dose them before they've had access to food in the morning. Once you treat them, they can eat. They should have empty crops first thing in the morning, they don't eat over night (pick up the food the night before). That way the meds are the first thing that go through and the first thing that gets to the worms. Do the same thing when you do the second dose.

Since our poultry scratch the ground, and nasties like tapeworms and parisites are ground dwellers, would it be advisable to spray the area they use with 70% Isopropyl alcohol? It can kill various microorganisms immediately and in the presence of water, would penetrate the top soil layers before it evaporates. Unlikely to harm plants, but could send beetles, near-surface worms and grubs to a premature death. Comments?

Since our poultry scratch the ground, and nasties like tapeworms and parisites are ground dwellers, would it be advisable to spray the area they use with 70% Isopropyl alcohol? It can kill various microorganisms immediately and in the presence of water, would penetrate the top soil layers before it evaporates. Unlikely to harm plants, but could send beetles, near-surface worms and grubs to a premature death. Comments?
Using alcohol to sanitize the soil is very inefficient and would be most likely very expensive. Yes, it will kill everything including good bacteria in the soil.
Natural sunlight will do the job for you for free.
Insects are the vector for tapeworms, but not all insects are tapeworm infected. Scooping poop a few times a day in pens will deter roundworm infections as well as rotating foraging areas if birds are free ranged.
Sand in the pens deters insects and parasites. I have sand in all the pens. My birds are penned. I worm birds monthly due to our mostly warm and wet environment.

Back
Top Bottom