Pre-chilling? Chilling prior to evisceration?

I am usually butchering all by myself too.
hmm.png
I like to do them 2 at a time, all the way through. That way, if something happens that I cannot finish the entire batch -- unexpected afternoon rainstorm, injury (not happened yet, thank God), some other unplanned problem -- then I don't have a lot of half-processed chickens to deal with. I only do 4-8 at a time by myself, wouldn't mind being part of a big busy crew working on dozens & dozens of birds at a time.

I take 2 at a time, hang & slice necks, let bleed out, replenish the hot water in the scalding bucket, dip & pluck. Then I take them both to the cutting table and eviscerate. I take off everyone's legs, then necks, then clean out, rinse & place in the ice water. Sometimes before I clean out the 2nd bird I'll hang & slice the next 2.

I am usually butchering all by myself too. /img/smilies/hmm.png  I like to do them 2 at a time, all the way through.  That way, if something happens that I cannot finish the entire batch -- unexpected afternoon rainstorm, injury (not happened yet, thank God), some other unplanned problem -- then I don't have a lot of half-processed chickens to deal with.  I only do 4-8 at a time by myself, wouldn't mind being part of a big busy crew working on dozens & dozens of birds at a time.

I take 2 at a time, hang & slice necks, let bleed out, replenish the hot water in the scalding bucket, dip & pluck.  Then I take them both to the cutting table and eviscerate.  I take off everyone's legs, then necks, then clean out, rinse & place in the ice water.  Sometimes before I clean out the 2nd bird I'll hang & slice the next 2.
I know this is an old thread, but I had just asked last week how one person processes efficiently and didnt get any responses. Thank you for sharing your method! I just happened to stumble across this post searching for air chilling.

well, today i started at 3pm ad ended at 8pm, I put 10 birds in my modified freezer (I start at -20C, turn the electronic thermometer back to +3-4C, i start cold to counteract the carcasses) but I did not gut them yet, Tomorrow morning I will do so. The "chiller" also has some frozen water bottles to help keep the ambient cool without overworking the compressor.

well, today i started at 3pm ad ended at 8pm, I put 10 birds in my modified freezer (I start at -20C, turn the electronic thermometer back to +3-4C, i start cold to counteract the carcasses) but I did not gut them yet, Tomorrow morning I will do so. The "chiller" also has some frozen water bottles to help with the

Back
Top Bottom