Pre-fab run or build from scratch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laircy, Mar 16, 2017.

1. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    I'm trying to figure out if it would be a better (cheaper, easier) option to buy a "chicken safe" that is around $1000-$1400 but comes with everything to assemble it, or to get these materials on my own. The thing is, it's a long term investment and I want to be able to assemble and dissemble it at 3 different locations: 1) my college, then 2) a friend's house who lives on 5 acres but doesn't have proper fencing for chickens, who I'm going to give the chickens to until I get 3) my own place. It has to be sturdy enough to last that long and be safe, but not so sturdy that it needs a permanent location. I have 20 chickens.

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello ,
    Cheaper to build , but are you sure about all that moving around ? Chickens don't do well with change .

Anyways , how about an A frame ? Easy to assemble and disassemble??

Maybe someone here has a slap down " IKEA like" coop idea.. we used an existing shed .

3. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    You're talking about a significant sized coop and run to accommodate 20 birds, when you start trying to put it up and take it down.

I'd be looking into the hoop house type option, depending on where you are in California. You aren't as likely as some other areas to need a winter coop. You could build a hoop house style enclosure that could stay at each location if you're willing to spend upwards of a grand on the construction.

That would be the first option i consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by