Pre-laying behavior (warning: kinda gross)

Echolalia

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
San Francisco
I had my first egg the day before yesterday & don't know which of my hens is responsible. Today when I was out in the run, I tossed some feed & scratch out for them to forage. As they paced around pecking, I noticed that Rosie's bum was pulsating, like she was trying to have a big poop. She didn't seem all that upset by it, but she was definitely the only one who had that going on. Yes, I feel a little weird for checking out my chicken's bums as they walked around
hmm.png

Yes, I feel a little weird for checking out my chicken's bums as they walked around

Not knowing what was going on with my injured hen, I was laying on the garage floor in the dark, with a flashlight, pointed on her bum, trying to see if I could see any sign of an egg stuck....LOL There's a visual for ya'
gig.gif

As for yours, not sure what to think, as I am so new to this chicken world. If she eats and drinks fine, and acts fine, I would just keep an eye on it. Hopefully someone with more experience will come on to help.​

Quote:
Not knowing what was going on with my injured hen, I was laying on the garage floor in the dark, with a flashlight, pointed on her bum, trying to see if I could see any sign of an egg stuck....LOL There's a visual for ya'
gig.gif

As for yours, not sure what to think, as I am so new to this chicken world. If she eats and drinks fine, and acts fine, I would just keep an eye on it. Hopefully someone with more experience will come on to help.

Well, Miz Rosie has been up in the hen house for quite a while. I caught her sitting in the next box, so she must be trying to lay. Poor things, she's been at it for a while. Still, when I came bearing raisins, she was the first one up in my lap to get treats. I gave her extras for all of her troubles.
wink.png

Hi there,
This is exactly what I got onto BYC for just now. My Lilly (Auburn Easter Egger sold as an Ameracauna) is very slow the past few days...although its hotter than heck too! I've put out ice water, rechecked their water and they have plenty of shading and breeze to help. The others mouth's are open so they're hot, but Lilly, she's squatting a lot, sitting a lot, moving slower, and just seems pretty tired. My daughter keeps checking on her, picking her up and bringing her inside to the cool air for a bit. Lilly is actually letting everyone pick her up more than usual too. But I checked her out well I think and I saw her poo, loose but normal. So I don't know if its pre-egg laying behavior or heat, or illness with no symptoms...I'm interested in hearing how everyone's hens are doing as well to learn about pre-laying symptoms.

I came home and found an egg in nest box!!! It was quite a bit bigger than the one she laid on Friday - no wonder the poor thing was straining so much!!!

I'm so glad I found this thread! We "adopted" a Red Star hen (17 month old?) from my sister, because she was stressed out from the heat and getting bullied by the rest of her flock...and just not doing well in general. We've had her for about a month now, and she is all plumped up, feathered out, red-combed and happy again. But, she hasn't laid an egg that whole time. Then this morning I heard her going "bok bok bok BKAWK!!!" over and over again. I went out to check on her...no egg, but she seemed frantic to get back into the coop (she was out free-ranging at the time). Well, I let her in, and she's been in there a lot throughout the day. Now it's almost evening but still no egg.

Anyway, I've noticed the same sort of behavior today that you described. Wondering if she's just having trouble since it's her first egg in so long? Hopefully she'll be laying soon! How long should I wait before I get worried about her?

Yes, I feel a little weird for checking out my chicken's bums as they walked around

Well, I should think so!​

Back
Top Bottom