Predator appears 2 days before big trip

blinkk

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Who else has had this happen? Some predator is attacking our flock at night. Lost all the baby chicks and a bird was injured last night. Fiancé and I have plans to go out of town Monday for a whole week!! These plans aren't easily canceled. (We agreed to help a disabled friend get some building done. He's arranged a whole crew to show up at the same time and if we backed out it would cripple his plans.)

Who else has been in this situation? What do you do when a predator shows up right before a long out of town trip? Although it would mess up our friends plans, I'm seriously considering staying home to protect the flock.

I sometimes have this problem, but none of my chickens have been injured yet. (Knock on wood) My issue includes local wild birds (robins, blue jays, sparrows) that somehow fly into the coop's run and chase the chickens into their coop to eat the food on the ground. Ugh, it's irritating.
Many predators can target chickens because they are a common animal to eat. Predators can include (and aren't limited to): foxes, coyotes, wolves, bears, other birds, raccoons, dominate roosters, and aggressive hens.
You can ask a nearby friend or a trustable neighbor to help protect them while you're away.

Good luck and God Bless!

I remember telling a local pastor whom I met in passing a year ago at our local Starbucks that I hate going away from home and leaving my dogs, that in fact sometimes I just stay home.

He got kinda agitated and politely advised me to put people first. He said he's known folks to neglect their friends and family and activities that cultivate those relationships and deeply regret it later. He has a point, a good one.

Reinforce your coop, run, wherever you have your chickens and go help your friend. EastTXChickens has good advice. Put your relationships with people first. Your being home hasn't protected your chickens so far, how will it be different if you skip this trip? Can you put some electric fence around your chicken areas? That definitely can help keep critters out.

Back
Top Bottom